Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cold the car idles really high. Once warmed up it might idle high or it might not. I think this is related to possibly a vacuum ussue or harness related to the AIS or a sticking AIS. It could also be that I need to do a bit of cleaning at the throttle body.

Also, there's a very noticable lope at idle when it's idleing low. Low as in normally low but with the A/C off. If the A/C is on it doesn't necessarily raise the idle but for some reason the idle seems to smooth out. If the idle sticks at around 1100, the lope is not noticable.

So I guess it's time to give the my DD Daytona some TLC. I'll look at the harness and clean/repair as necessary. I'll also do the same for the vacuum lines. Since I don't remember the last time I changed the plugs I guess I'll put a set in just for jollies unless when I inspect everything and pull a plug they look good. That might remind me when I replaced them last. :)

Oh, I almost forgot. I'll check and change as needed the air filter.

As for other areas that need attention.... I'll replace both back ebrake cable ends to insure they move properly. I'll repack the rear bearings and adjust the rear brakes so they brake well but also don't provide any resistance while driving.

What did I forget.... Lube the ball joints?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Bob, have you ever removed the throttle body for cleaning and cleaned the AIS passages with the TB off the car? I found a fair amount of crud in mine the first time I did it.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, never have. I have another TB but I'm concerned about removing the injector. I may just leave it in place and work around it.

I guess I need to locate the gasket kit.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Injector is very easy on the later throttle bodies, not sure about the first gen. But I did not find any dirt or deposits there at all, it wasn't worth removing for me. It was the vacuum passages that had deposits, as well as gasket surfaces.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look for a gasket set. IIRC there are three or four gaskets that are used. I'll even leave the butterfly in place and simply clean those areas.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
And be sure to get a good, thick base gasket. Sold at AZ individually for about 7 dollars, I think.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TLC is on hold, for now. My mother in law's shed has a hole in the roof. If, and this might be a big if, if she does order and have delivered the material to put on a metal roof, that's what I'll be doing this coming weekend. Not what I had in mind but it must get done.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right.... the car works. It may work better but for now it works. Doing what I need to do to it will only take an hour or two so if necessary and if I have the brake parts I'll do it before I leave for Pensacola Sunday. Otherwise, it'll wait.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Usually they cost about $17, so that would be a score. Let me know if the thick TB gasket comes with it. I've never found a kit that does, always had to buy it separately.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
same experience here. have to buy base gasket separately. However, the kits I've bought do include a very thin base gasket, that I do not use.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I pull the TB I'll probably 'try' to stack two thick gaskets. I know that it will only raise the TB about 1/4" or so but i seem to have read somewhere that raising it up will help with the flow. I mean the base of the TB is so close to the floor of the plenum that the flow is very abrupt. Raising it even a little is said to improve things. I have no idea what it might do to the MPG or performance though I suspect if anything it might improve both. We'll see.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's been a price drop in the gasket kit..... CRB 212134. It's now $3.29 at my local NAPA. I'll be getting one for my 'spare' TB and redoing it for a swap soon.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Did you have any hurricane effects down there? The heavy rain just came, had high winds all day. Work and school were canceled. Lost power for 1/2 hour this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
That's all we've had so far. Gusts to 40 mph.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts