Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the timing belt replaced. Also the water pump , tensioner, and idler pully was replaced. Total cost $1085. Many shops in the area refused to do it because it was not cost effective for them to do it. My dealer wanted about $1600 to do the job. I do most of my repairs myself and it is rare I take any of my cars to a shop to have any thing done. Its a 2007 Touring Edition that I bought in 2008 with 27,000 on it and now has 97,000. But I could not devote the time needed to do the job and I do not have the correct puller for harmonic pully etc. Any one care to share there thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I think the key for you was the fact that you don't have the time to devote to get the job done. I've changed my belt twice, and it is a tedious job, although not really difficult. The first time, I did not have the Chrysler Harmonic Balancer puller, but used a generic one, using the bolt as the point to push against. Thinking better the second time (plus due to the fact my wife and daughter both also have PTs, I sprung for the Chrysler puller; which did work much better.

The price you paid seems a tad higher from other prices I've heard, but that also may be dependent on where you live. Based on what you found, I would say you did pretty good.

I'm at 254,000 now, heading to 300,000; so when I reach that point, I'll have to decide whether to dive in again or not. My wife's 2007 only has 44,000 on it, so that is a ways away, and my daughter's 08 is only at 63,000.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am located in Haverstraw NY. I bought the car for my daughter when she was in college. She drove between Atlant Ga. and Birminham Alabama almost weekly while going to school. The car has gone to Biloxi Mississippi several times and to New Orleans several times and all the way down to Key West Florida. Now she is using to commute to work living in Hartford CT. so the amount of miles used per year is going to go way down. I put new tires on it in Birmingham at 35,000 and still going with acceptable tread at 97,000 (not bad). Everything here in NY Metro area is a bit more expensive. Not a bad little car but I feel the engineering of timing belt replacement should have been much better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've done many of my own repairs but last August when my 01 LE 5sp 94K actually broke its timing belt, my independent mechanic did not want to undertake it either. So, the dealer it was and $1650 later it was done. Although that price included new hoses, fresh coolant, A/C recharge and all the parts you mentioned. Good luck with all of yours. I'll keep an eye out for your daughter as I get through Hartford regularly (I'm 13 miles SE of there). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
bobmct said:
I've done many of my own repairs but last August when my 01 LE 5sp 94K actually broke its timing belt, my independent mechanic did not want to undertake it either. So, the dealer it was and $1650 later it was done. Although that price included new hoses, fresh coolant, A/C recharge and all the parts you mentioned. Good luck with all of yours. I'll keep an eye out for your daughter as I get through Hartford regularly (I'm 13 miles SE of there). :thumbsup:
If the belt breaks, doesn;t it ruin the valves when they hit the pistons? Or is this not an inteference engine?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The valves will not hit the pistons but valve to valve interfence is possible. Change water pump while in there since it is driven off the timing belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts