Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting new tires for my company truck soon. I roll 40 to 60k miles per year. I run in all conditions. Mostly on interstates and state highways. I operate in KS, MO, NE, IA mostly. I run a 2500 at max payload often. I rarely tow. It is four door 8 foot bed, 4x4.

I want to know what tires would be good to get. Right now it has Firestone hi miler hiway types. I usually get the chunky Goodyear Wrangler heavy duties. Cost is no object, or nearly so. I really hate the way the Wranglers feel the first 2000 miles or so. They really do walk all over the highway. They are unbelievable in low traction situations, though. Is there a Goodyear, Firestone, or other big make tire, that has better hiway manners than the Wrangler, but still has excellent grip in low traction (snow, mud, dirt, etc)? It still has to rated for full payload on a 2500.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The current Firstones are OK. I have no complaintss, yet I have no love for them either. I really do like the Wrangler's (Pro Grade AT something or other), but with their tall tread blocks, they make the first 2k miles feel kind of squirrelly. In snow, mud, dirt, or any off pavement surface, the Wranglers are nearly unmatched, or at least for my purposes. I was wondering if there was a tire that had good highway manners, and still got good off pavement traction available from a major make (Goodyear, Firestone, etc.)

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
If it doesn't have MICHELIN on the side it doesn't go on my car. Longer lasting, lower rolling resistance (gas mileage), smoother ride, less vibration and shake than anything else you can buy. Was there something else you wanted?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want it all. Everything you said, plus off pavement traction, and snow, rain, and ice traction. I am willing to sacrifce a some highway manners for better low traction performance, but the Wrangler Pro Grades, are a little too far toward the off pavement end of the spectrum. They do better off pavement than any other tire I have used, that is also has the correct load index (it's a 2500, crew, 8 foot bed). I drive 40-50k miles per year, with a significant number o miles in poor to extremely ppor conditions.

·
KOG
6,997 Posts
When you get into really offroad, Goodrich has maybe the best stuff out there. They are a Michelin subsidiary. As is Uniroyal, but Uniroyal is the low rent OEM outlet ans some of there stuff is just that, low rent. We've consistently had problems with Firestone and Goodyear in the past.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've had lots of different tires over the years. Never had a bad Michelin and I've had plenty of them. Typically priced at the top of the line and worth every penny.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really like the Nitto Terra Grappler ATs on my '93 Cummins. Not too loud, good highway manners, great snow performance first two seasons. I will be getting another set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts