Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the barely adequate Firestone Affinity's with a better all-season tire. The size is 215/60R17.

A few of the tires I'm contemplating are BF Goodrich Advantage, Continental True Contact, and Hankook Optimo. Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially from Patriot owners. Not interested in all-terrains, this vehicle travels on highways and country roads for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
I went with a taller Bridgestone Dueller H/L P215/70R17 on the Caliber.
Great in the snow and wet. Much quieter than the Goodyears that came off of it. Less 'slap' over bumps. They clear the front strut lower spring seat by about 3/4". I can manage with a slight speedometer inaccuracy at highway speeds.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
I'm on our second set of Firestone Affinity's on our Journey. They wore quite evenly and provided good wet/dry traction. Far better than the Kumho's it came with. The Kumho's had adequate traction, but were worn out by 40K miles. Had 65K on the Affinity's when I replaced them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on our second set of Firestone Affinity's on our Journey. They wore quite evenly and provided good wet/dry traction. Far better than the Kumho's it came with. The Kumho's had adequate traction, but were worn out by 40K miles. Had 65K on the Affinity's when I replaced them.
Unfortunately my experience with the Firestones is that they are slick in rainy and snow conditions. Will not buy them again. 46K mileage on them and 6/32 tread left, so I could go a bit longer but just cannot stand them after the record rainfall season Indiana just had. I wonder if your tire size is different and thus you are seeing different results than me?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
Unfortunately my experience with the Firestones is that they are slick in rainy and snow conditions. Will not buy them again. 46K mileage on them and 6/32 tread left, so I could go a bit longer but just cannot stand them after the record rainfall season Indiana just had. I wonder if your tire size is different and thus you are seeing different results than me?
The Journey tire size is different - P225/65/R17 - not quite as wide as the tires you have. Maybe that was the difference. Except for the Michelins that came with my 2006 Ram (bought new) and the Kumho's on the Journey, I've almost always purchased Firestone tires and had good wear and traction with them. The Michelins were outstanding - lasted 111,000 miles and traction until the last 10K or so miles, but I could not afford to go with Michelins the 2nd time around.

Several years ago I had a '86 GTS that for whatever reason did not like Michelins. Two of them developed fist sized knots. Went with a different tire (I forget which) and never had the problem again. Don't know if those Michelins were defective or if that tire just didn't mesh with the car's suspension.

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,317 Posts
I did see the LE2's as a possibility, but the Affinity duds made me wary of Firestone. May have to take another look at them.
The Affinitys are the bottom of the barrel for Firestone. I've had no problem getting the LE2s to do what I want in the snow and rain.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went with the Continental True Contacts, 1st impressions are very positive. I like the looks, and the tread pattern has a lot of sipes. Also like the wear indicators of DWS, very unique. I'll have to wait see how wet and snowy conditions are handled.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hankook optima h727 Is an awesome tire I had them on my 05 Grand Caravan when I had it and loved them. I am planning to put them on our 13 Grand Caravan hen the time come because michelin is too proud of their tires.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hankook optima h727 Is an awesome tire I had them on my 05 Grand Caravan when I had it and loved them. I am planning to put them on our 13 Grand Caravan hen the time come because michelin is too proud of their tires.
I had them on a Monte Carlo and loved them. When I talked to the owner of the shop I get service from on used vehicles and for tires he did not recommend them for my 4WD Patriot. Said he had seen a lot of scrubbing on that tire with another Patriot he serviced and just wasn't happy how it performed. He is the one who recommended the Optimo on my previous vehicle, and is a very honest businessman. The Continentals, he didn't have any experience with and told me so. His recommendation was the BF Goodrich tire, which he had seen perform well on other Patriots he services. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Tire Rack reviews lol. The Continentals were rated #1 in their category

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
I avoid Hankook - mainly because of where the tires are made. They may be perfectly fine tires, but I pay attention to country of origin whenever possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A quick update for anyone who may be shopping for new tires, the Continental True Contacts served my family well on a driving vacation to Gatlinburg Tenessee. Had to make an emergency maneuver on the highway and the tires kept their grip and the Patriot firmly planted on the road at 75mph. The tires also were great on all the mountain roads and loose gravel inclines, regardless of wet or dry conditions. I hate to think what might have happened on the terrible Firestone Affinity tires. I'll try and remember to update this thread with my impressions after this winter season.

P.S. Bob Sheaves if you read this thanks for your suggestion a while back for Continental Extreme Contacts for my charger. That put the idea in my head to see what would fit from Continental for my Patriot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts