Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
I have a 1962 Valiant V200 sedan with the push-button automatic tranny and 170 slant 6. I know the stock tire is a 6.50x13 bias which I think is 24" OD. From what I've been able to find out from dad and his antique Pirelli tire book is that the 6.50x13 translates to a P175/80R13 radial which I know from TireRack.com is exactly 24". Unfortunately that size from TireRack are all trailer tires, same thing with Discount Tire. Buying the 6.50x13 tires from Coker is the easy solution BUT too $$$ for my wallet. I did find some P175/80R13 Milestar MS75 tires for sale but I think these are old stock because that size is no longer offered by Milestar (looked it up on their website). .....so due to the lack of proper 13" tires I am seriously considering switching to 14" rims but have no plans to change away from the stock drum brakes. The car is not driveable as of yet. All I'm doing right now is planning so I know how roughly how much $$$ to save up because of a very tight budget.
...so I have a few questions....
1) Most of the aftermarket rim sizes I'm seeing with the 5x4" bolt pattern are 6 - 7" wide. Right now my car has the stock rim which 4.5" wide. Is it possible to put the 6 or 7" wide rims on the car without additional mods?
2) What is the recommended tire size for the 14" rims?
3) What about the accuracy of the speedo...will it be way off? I don't want any "special" papers from the local fuzz. LOL
4) Can the speedo be corrected by simply switching out the tranny pinion gear?

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
1) I'm not sure - I've never had an earlier A body
2) 14" rims were offered from the factory, 14x4.5 and 14x5.5 wheels were offered in 1968 according to my 1968 Valiant sales brochure. Both would have the same bolt pattern you have now. Standard was 6.50x13, optional was 7.00x13, 6.95x14, D70-14 and E-70-14. I don't have older brochures to compare.
3) Unless you run a low profile 14" tire, your speedometer will be off.
4) Changing the pinion will make the speedometer accurate again.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
A (once) rich source of 14" 5 on 4" A body rims was 1973-76 Darts and Valiants (and of course, all stock 1972 down models with either 13" or 14" wheels all had that small bolt pattern) with front drum brakes. Admittedly those wheels were only 4.5" wide but still................

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I also mentioned on my 'blog' that I would love to upgrade my (13-inch) tires and wheels on my '69 Signet. Original post claims to state that there are indeed 6 or 7- inch wide wheels available for the 5 on 4-inch pattern axles. I would sure like to know what the sources are as I am not adamant about using the OEM argent ralleys. Regardless, 14 by 6" would suit me fine - unless at a King's ransom. :censored: .
Also, if O.P. is interested in 1962 factory service literature, he is welcome to message me.

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Volunteer said:
I also mentioned on my 'blog' that I would love to upgrade my (13-inch) tires and wheels on my '69 Signet. Original post claims to state that there are indeed 6 or 7- inch wide wheels available for the 5 on 4-inch pattern axles. I would sure like to know what the sources are as I am not adamant about using the OEM argent ralleys. Regardless, 14 by 6" would suit me fine - unless at a King's ransom. :censored: .
Also, if O.P. is interested in 1962 factory service literature, he is welcome to message me.
The largest factory A body rim on at least USA spec 1972 down models with the 4" bolt pattern was 14" x 5.5".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts