Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 93 ES with a v6 and 5 speed, looking to do a track day with the kids and I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the top speed limiter. We've done the track days with the bikes before but never the cars....sounds like a hoot!

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
You'd have to get your computer re-programmed. This is the only person I know who can do that:

http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/index.php

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
Just for reference, with my 2.5L and 5-speed, I hit 115 mph indicated, before the limiter kicked in. Not smart, but that's what it's capable of in stock form.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
My brother's '92 V6 5speed combo would hit 122 indicated before it kicked in. His boss had one also and said that he was able to avoid the limiter kicking in by passing 122 in 4th gear and then shifting to 5th.

I'm not recommending that you try or that it works, only what I was told about 15 year ago. My brother never tried it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine hits 118 indicated in either 4th or 5th then drops 3 or 4 mph (like turning the switch off) before kicking in again, tried going past 118 with the cruise control, but cruise only works to 80 mph.....not even cruising speed in Texas any more! (75 here in sodak) Thanks for the help, I'll try the guys on the link, but not holding my breath. Might not have to worry as the straight is only 3/4 mile long with maybe a 45-50 mph run coming out of the last corner onto the straight.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
One thing about track days is that you'll think you can hit top speed, but depending on the track, you'll never get close to it.

So you may never need to up the speed limiter. As far as the limiter is concerned, it'll cut fuel and spark based on the speed sensor, there is no way around it without any modification to the computer or some other creative way.

As for the cruise control limit, Chrysler limited the computer's programming so that the cruise will set no higher than 85MPH to "encourage" safe driving.

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
Or, more likely, engine vacuum above that speed is too low to hold the cruise control setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts