Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased Chrysler vehicles for over 30 years and one week ago bought a loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. At the time of purchase I told the dealer that the main reason I was purchasing the Jeep was to tow my new 18 foot Glastron boat. I informed the salesman that the boat trailer had a 5 pin hookup that controled the brakes on the trailer. The salesman said that no one at the dealership had ever heard of a 5 pin adaptor for a trailer. One of the dealership people looked it up on the Internet and discovered that in fact there is a 5 pin to 7 pin adaptor which should work for my 2014 Grand Cherokee. The vehicle is equipped with an expensive towing package option that has a 7 pin and 4 pin socket for a trailer. The salesman was good about getting the 5 to 7 pin adaptor prior to delivery which I payed him for separately.

The first time I hooked my up my new 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited to my new Glastron boat and trailer I discovered to my dismay that the surge brakes on the trailer locked up in reverse. The Chrysler dealer told me that it was a problem with the trailer. My wife and I drove the 60 miles to the place where we purchased the boat and a mechanic blocked the tires, put the Jeep in reverse, got under back end of the vehicle with a circuit tester and determined that the vehicle was not sending the proper signal to the trailer.

When I called the Chrysler dealership they "called Chrysler" to determine the resolution for the issue and informed me that I would have to pay $100 to have the problem with my $41,000 Jeep with a towing package fixed so that I could back up my boat. Needless to say I was a bit frosted with idea that I had to pay $100 to back up my boat which I had expressly told the dealer I was purchasing to tow a boat which had a 5 pin hook up. I called Chrysler customer assistance and questioned why I should have to pay $100 to enable a $41,000 vehicle with a tow package to back up my boat. Chrysler customer assistance told me there is an extra part that had to be added to my vehicle so that I can back up my boat.

The Chrysler service representative told me that I had an appointment with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle at 8 AM, Saturday, June 8, 2013 but they informed me that I would have to pay the $100 to have the repair made. Very disatisfied with this resolution, I resigned myself that I would have to pay the dealer $100 to be able to back up my new boat with the Grand Cherokee. I arrived at the dealership shortly after 8 which is 40 miles from my home and was told by the service manager that because I had called Chrysler to complain about the $100 fee to fix my brand new $41,000 car they would not service my vehicle.

Needless to say I am utterly stumped why Chrysler and the dealer are treating a 30 year customer in this manner. Are there other Forum members out there who have run into this marine trailer problem and if so, how did you get it resolved?

·
Super Moderator
36,946 Posts
Moved to proper forum for more visibility.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It sounds like the reverse lamps are turning on the trailer brakes? I don't know the whole story here. Only your side of the situation.
If the dealer installed an aftermarket trailer wiring adapter because Chrysler doesn't offer it, then they own the problem. Shame on them. It should all be on the dealer and that's who you need to fix the problem.
If Chrysler offered a trailer wiring adapter, then that is what the dealer should have installed in the first place. End of problem.
The dealer may have gotten yelled at for trying to do this the wrong way. I'm sorry that you are in the middle and hope you can resolve this. The service manager should waive the fees and the sales dept should eat this from what I can see. Talk to the dealer principal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply, the dealer did nothing to the car as the trailer tow package comes with both a 4 pin and seven pin plug for the trailer. The salesman purchased a 5 to 7 pin adapter so that I could plug the trailer into the 7 pin socket on the back of the Jeep.[SIZE=10.5pt]Theoretically this should have solved the problem but did not. The 7 pin on the Jeep is not sending the proper signal to the 5 pin on the trailer and I think you are correct that it has something to do with trailer light relay as the mechanic at the boat dealership varified that the fuses for these items were functioning and in place in the Jeep's fuse box. The Jeep is not sending the proper signal to the 7 pin plug to release the surge brakes on the trailer when I put the Jeep in reverse. Does anyone on the forum know how I can get this problem fixed? [/SIZE]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like you're getting a real raw deal from the 'ship on this one. I've never heard of customer service that poor. I would suggest taking it to another dealer, but your post suggests there isn't a dealer every 5 miles like here in Metro Detroit.

I would honestly call Chrysler customer assistance back again and update them on this situation.

Are all of the lights working as they should on the trailer? If the output from the Jeep through the 7 to 5 pin adapter doesn't match up, maybe the 5 pin is getting the output for one of the other pins and vice versa. Then, theoretically, you might be able to fix it by rewiring the plug on the trailer to make the outputs line up correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When reversing a trailer with surge brakes, a 5 pin connector is required that uses the reverse light circuit to disable the master cylinder flow valve to the brakes. The 5th pin operates off of the reverse lamp circuit. Your sales person simply could have obtained the wrong adapter plug. Contact the nearest marine dealer or RV dealer for the correct adapter. (If you are not in the business of trailers and surge brakes it is difficult to know which adapter is required) The correct part number adapter can be obtained from the trailer manufacturers website or your trailer owners manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all who have tried to assist me on the forum I want to thank you. I took my vehicle to another Chrysler Dealer over 40 miles from my home yesterday. They were courteous, got my new Jeep in to check it out right away. Within 15 minutes they determined that the wiring on the 7 pin socket on the back of my vehicle was not fully connected so that power wasn't getting to the center pin which turns on the trailer back up lights and releases the surge brakes in reverse. They attached the wire to the center pin on the 7 pin socket and now I can back up my boat without any problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts