Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to tow a 1971 Plymouth Fury 3 equipped with a 360 C I engine and an automatic transmission. I'd like to know if I need to remove the driveshaft if I plan to tow it using a tow dolly on the front wheels and keep the rear wheels on the ground. It's about a 600 mile tow at speeds of 60 to 65 mph. I know some vehicles require the driveshaft to be removed for this kind of tow because the transmission pump is run from the front and not from the rear. Thanks, Jim Serra

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the driveshaft in that car for that length and speed of towing.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I have never had a problem towing with the car in neutral.

As a second thought, yeah, that is a distance to tow, so a spare yoke stuffed in the end to keep it from puking would be a good idea

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dana44 said:
I have never had a problem towing with the car in neutral.

As a second thought, yeah, that is a distance to tow, so a spare yoke stuffed in the end to keep it from puking would be a good idea
Do you guys know where I can get a spare yoke? Would it be strictly a junk yard item or are aftermarket one available? I'm new to MoPar and this forum and appreciate the info. Jim

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Definitely, disconnect. Spinning the transmission in neutral will heat it up, and with the motor off, there's no way to cool the fluid.

You'll need a class III hitch, as class II is only rated for 3,500 lbs.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
junkyard item. I just remembered, a paint spray can lid has been known to fit in the end, then duct tape it to the tailshaft. I think I did this when storing a transmission once.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
dana44 said:
junkyard item. I just remembered, a paint spray can lid has been known to fit in the end, then duct tape it to the tailshaft. I think I did this when storing a transmission once.
I've done that for storage too, though I didn't need the tape because it was stored on its bellhousing. I'd think that's good enough for transport.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know a drive shaft shop that lenghtens and shortens drive shafts can get new replacement yokes. Not sure if advance/autozone /napa can but you may want to give them a call.

·
Registered
699 Posts
No harm in draining the tranny before the trip with the driveshaft off, tape up the rear, and you wont have to worry about leaking. New fluid is good for a 1971 torqueflight..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dak4x4 said:
No harm in draining the tranny before the trip with the driveshaft off, tape up the rear, and you wont have to worry about leaking. New fluid is good for a 1971 torqueflight..
I was thinking the same thing (draining the tranny and refilling) but also considered removing the front U-Joint, placing the yoke in the tranny and securing it and later replacing the U joint (about $15 at Advance Auot Parts) when I get the car home. Thanks to everyone for your input and information. Jim

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Don't overthink this but don't tow your car with the driveshaft turning. either. The pump on the tranny input won't be turning and damage could be substantial.

Disconnect the driveshaft from the differential and just tie up the rear end of the shaft to the chassis somewhere. Then the front yoke will remain in the tailshaft housing, and you don't have to worry about where to carry the driveshaft during the trip.

Also, make sure you mark the driveshaft and differential so you can get them mated together the same way when you put things back together. Just some cheap spray paint on one side of the differential yoke and driveshaft will help you get things re-assembled the same way they were. Maybe not TOO critical but it's just good practice to do this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car is home safe and sound and it appears that not much fluid was lost. The transporter put the driveshaft in the trunk and put a plastic bag on the tailshaft held on with some heavy duty rubber bands. Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts