Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions regarding my 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Limited
The first one is how to reset the service light. I had the van's oil changed about a week ago
and the local dealership did not reset the service light.
The second is that the van started a ticking noise when it runs, not all the time but with34,100 miles this should not
be happening. I bought the van a year ago when it had 24,700 miles on it. I have noticed that most van engines have this ticking noise.
and I am unsure what it is. I did notice that the dealership used 5w30 oil, when the owner's manual suggests 5w20
I really don't like or trust the two closest Chrysler dealer's, and would not consider ever buying a vehicle at either one.
Ideas please, and thanks in advance!
TommyDodge
Michigan City IN

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Both my 03 and 05 vans had a tick but I think its normal they both went well over 100000 miles with no issues.
Mick
As for the oil change light I think you turn the key on without starting the engine and press the gas peddle 3 or maybe 6 times you should hear a chime. (I could be confusing this with a different car though)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Run a can of Seafoam thru your oil system for 500 miles, then drain and change the oil. This will clean those sticky valve lifters!
You can get Seafoam at a local Advance store, which is where I get it.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
It may not be valve lifters. Diagnose the noise first.
5W-30 shouldn't hurt it in the summer warmth. 5W-20 is best for fuel efficiency.
The owners manual should give the procedure for resetting the oil change reminder. Is it the overhead EVIC?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the owner's manual, and it gives no info on resetting the light which is on the overhead console.
Kind of amazing, since the owner's manual has almost 500 pages
2 friends with Chrysler minivans told me it was the valve lifters and suggested the Seafoam, which I bought and put in tonight
just before dark.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Try selecting the '0 miles to service' screen, then press and hold the reset button. It should then reset to to next oil change interval. The service interval mileage is selectable as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the help on these things, The van has a whole bunch of fancy stuff that I have never had before
and some things I had never seen before either. my previous daily driver was a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim that I got rid
of when I got the van on July 27 of last year. The van has all the options except blue tooth capability, and a sunroof/moonroof

1 - 7 of 7 Posts