Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota revealed a production-ready concept, with handsome new styling accompanied by RWD configuration: 2021 Toyota Mirai Fuel-Cell Sedan Goes RWD for Second Generation

Car and Driver reports:

"The Mirai, Toyota's hydrogen fuel-cell sedan, is going in a new direction—less Prius, more Lexus, with rear-wheel drive and a targeted range of more than 400 miles."

A (attractive styling) picture is worth one thousand (paid advertising) words

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
That front end is the most confusing thing i have ever seen, it looks good but bad all at the same time. The rear looks pretty good. With everyone going race track style now it's about time for dodge to get away from it again

·
Jeepaholic
5,644 Posts
That nose...it looks like it’s leaning forward to sniff something.

Over all not bad...but it’s a Toyota.

A fuel cell with that type of range would work well for me, as I put on a lot of mileage going to and from work. As with an EV, it comes down to the ability to charge up/refuel. I need the infrastructure support for it to be viable. It may very well already be in place in my area, I have no idea, I’d have to look.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
That nose...it looks like it’s leaning forward to sniff something.

Over all not bad...but it’s a Toyota.

A fuel cell with that type of range would work well for me, as I put on a lot of mileage going to and from work. As with an EV, it comes down to the ability to charge up/refuel. I need the infrastructure support for it to be viable. It may very well already be in place in my area, I have no idea, I’d have to look.

Fuel Cell is underappreciated.

Largely, or so it seems, for the pie-in-the-sky "reel-soon-now" Battery break-through claims.

Nothing against the Battery Breakthrough, but it took years for the people on ' Gilligan's Island ' to find their way back. Kno-Wadda-meen?

Does the wait between the "reel-soon-now" claim, and the "reel-soon-now" reality make so much sense that the "Whatz-Heer-Now' should be shunted aside?

·
Jeepaholic
5,644 Posts

Fuel Cell is underappreciated.

Largely, or so it seems, for the pie-in-the-sky "reel-soon-now" Battery break-through claims.

Nothing against the Battery Breakthrough, but it took years for the people on ' Gilligan's Island ' to find their way back. Kno-Wadda-meen?

Does the wait between the "reel-soon-now" claim, and the "reel-soon-now" reality make so much sense that the "Whatz-Heer-Now' should be shunted aside?

Yeah, I don’t know. And you know what? I don’t really care. All I want is a reliable power train that costs a reasonable amount to own & operate. I’d like fuel efficiency to boot if I can get it. But above all else, I’ve got to have confidence that no matter what “fuel” my vehicle runs on, I can get it wherever I happen to be (within reason, of course).

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Yeah, I don’t know. And you know what? I don’t really care. All I want is a reliable power train that costs a reasonable amount to own & operate. I’d like fuel efficiency to boot if I can get it. But above all else, I’ve got to have confidence that no matter what “fuel” my vehicle runs on, I can get it wherever I happen to be (within reason, of course).

Preachin' to the Choir.

I join you in this, though.

Whatever the case, it has to be put together well.

·
10,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get hydrogen everywhere. Just not separate from oxygen... :D

·
Jeepaholic
5,644 Posts
Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink...or burn...or something something. :D

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink...or burn...or something something. :D
And, That's EXACTLY the reason why I've always advocated the use of natural gas in fuel cell vehicles instead of pure hydrogen.

Yes, I know.....I know.....nitrogen oxides from natural gas. True enogh, but I would counter that with the old expression that the perfect should not be allowed to become the enemy of the good!

OH...Almost forgot.
Speaking of fuel cells:
Renault Joins Toyota, Mercedes With Hydrogen Delivery Van - Bloomberg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts