Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

In 2016, Toyota purchased a 2007 Tundra with over a million miles from its original owner. At the time, the Japanese company explained that it gave Victor Sheppard a new Tundra in exchange for his million-mile truck to help its engineers gain insight on how various parts had held up as they developed the recently-unveiled model. Six years later, Toyota shared insight on the lessons that it learned during this process.

Full article here:

Toyota studied million-mile Tundra while developing new model | Autoblog

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wonder what Toyota decided to change so newer models not last so long and hold down costs on. They could switch to cheaper or smaller bearings, cheaper seat construction for example.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
That reminds me of a more or less similar story in France where a guy did one million kilometers with his Citroen and Citroen gived to the guy a all-new one and there's a recent French article where an owner of a old Volvo 740 got one million too and the dealer lease him a S60.
Yup, the only exception to those stories is the guy with the million-mile Plymouth. Chrysler basically distanced themselves from him.... how dare he have a car that was so old?

·
370,000 miles
1,495 Posts
Yup, the only exception to those stories is the guy with the million-mile Plymouth. Chrysler basically distanced themselves from him.... how dare he have a car that was so old?
They saw him as a freeloader - he should have bought new every 3 years. Probably prompted them to convene some engineering meetings on planned obsolescence..

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It took a million-mile tundra for them to realize the bed gets abused and can rust when dinged and scratched. What a bunch of geniuses.

Most likely was a Texas truck and not from snow/salt country; never would have made it to 200,000.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,488 Posts
It took a million-mile tundra for them to realize the bed gets abused and can rust when dinged and scratched. What a bunch of geniuses.

Most likely was a Texas truck and not from snow/salt country; never would have made it to 200,000.
Didn't they have rusty frame issues as well?

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,388 Posts
Didn't they have rusty frame issues as well?
That was the Tacoma. I don't think the Tundra had that issue. Co-worker had one that the recall covered, but by the time he took it in the recall had expired. There was a time frame under which Toyota would perform the recall. Essentially, Toyota was replacing the entire frame.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,488 Posts
That was the Tacoma. I don't think the Tundra had that issue. Co-worker had one that the recall covered, but by the time he took it in the recall had expired. There was a time frame under which Toyota would perform the recall. Essentially, Toyota was replacing the entire frame.
I can't get the link to paste but there was a tundra frame recall, but it may have been the generation before the last one.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While some love to point out Toyota's frame problems, they are a case study of how to handle customer issues.

·
Jeepaholic
6,963 Posts
While some love to point out Toyota's frame problems, they are a case study of how to handle customer issues.
ALL vehicles can have issues. It’s how the manufacturer handles those issues and treats the customers is what matters.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
Also, when you are talking million mile cars, often they have had extensive work done to them by that time.

BTW there was a guy here, Ray Alexander, who had a million mile B-Van. I brought the story to Chrysler and either Mike Dreihorst or Ed Garsten did a little story on them at the official Chrysler media, but they weren't able to get a full publicity push going.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts