Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,173 Posts
Note to others: if you can't keep it nonpolitical, keep it unsaid. Or write an answer and close the window before posting...

Toyota believes hydrogen has serious potential in cargo ships and such, and is developing a stackable setup so it can be used in cars, trucks, Class 8 trucks, cargo ships, and whatever. I wonder if propellor planes will ever run on hydrogen fuel cells. Jets are another story, they are developing jet fuels that cut down on the petroleum a bit.

Obviously BEVs aren't ideal for long haul trucking or cross-ocean cargo ships. These stories show what's going on there.

Vancouver has run electric buses with overhead cables, it's a terrific system. If you've been in diesel city buses and then go to Vancouver, the acceleration may literally knock you off your feet, and they swerve from lane to lane (a single overhead cable serves three lanes). They use flywheels (KERS) for the UBC campus which has no wires.

I suspect the transition will hurt some businesses, but that it will be a real boom time for others.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,189 Posts
If a manufacturer is in the transportation business it would be wise to divert some resources to the upcoming shift to alternative fuels/energies so as not to be left in the dust. 60 years ago I flew radio control airplanes with GLO fuel methanol, oil and nitro methane in a 2 stroke engine. The aircraft was heavy and coated with oil residue after a flight, pain to maintain a wooden aircraft. Later heavy batteries were able to store enough energy for a 4 minute flight.Today small battery packs in rigid foam aircraft are able to do 10 minute + flights at way less cost and hardly any maintenance. Never lubricated the motors. Flights could be longer but I find hotdoging for that length of time sufficient to keep me satisfied. Never any fires like glo fuel aircraft. My point is I see electric cars a plus for the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts