Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Bought this Jeep in 2016 with the TPMS light on. Since this is a Laredo it has the basic TPMS system. After the car is started the light and the chime comes on after a few seconds. None of the wheels had sensors in them when I bought it, only the full size spare. Bought 4 new original sensors in the fall of 2016 and had them mounted. But the light stayed on! The year after I had a new sensor mounted in the spare, but the light still stayed on. A few days ago someone told me that I should mount the spare on the car and drive with it to "wake" up the spare. Did it today, but the light is still on. How does the system recognize the spare tire since it's not moving? Checked that I have 33 psi in all 5 tires. Since I live in northern Norway my local dealer does not have any experience with this problem, and does not know how to search for a fault or fix it. Is there a scan tool available that will show DTC's stored in the WCM (wireless control module)?

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
A sensor is only active when the tire is rotating to conserve sensor battery life. The spare tire isn't read by the system as there is no monitor for it.
There are probably other scanners than the one a dealer will use that can diagnose the TPMS system, check local tire shops.
At this point, I only see three possibilities: 1) Wrong sensors, 2) One of the individual readers or the main TPMS module is bad, 3) The threshold is set higher than 33 psi.
The dealer doesn't have a scanner they can hook up to this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The WiTech2 is the dealer scan tool. If they are truly an authorized FCA agency, they would be required to have one.
Tire facility suppliers, like Schrader also offer TPMS scan tools.
| (at https://www.schradertpms.com/en-gb/our-products/schrader-programming-tools )
OEM parts may be an important consideration as there are some incompatible aftermarket sensors out there.
I'm sure they have one, but I don't think they know what to look for... I have OEM sensors on all four wheels. Thought they were self learning? What can the Schrader tool do?

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The dealer should know basic diagnostic steps. Begin with any WCM or related module fault codes and go from there. If you are not receiving satisfaction, ask to speak with the service manager about moving this repair forward.
If the TIPM warning light is on, a fault code is stored. It doesn't necessarily have to be a tire sensor or low tire pressure fault.
The Schrader or other capable generic scan tool would likely be used by independent automotive service shops. It would cover a wide range of vehicles and not just be FCA-product specific.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer should know basic diagnostic steps. Begin with any WCM or related module fault codes and go from there. If you are not receiving satisfaction, ask to speak with the service manager about moving this repair forward.
If the TIPM warning light is on, a fault code is stored. It doesn't necessarily have to be a tire sensor or low tire pressure fault.
The Schrader or other capable generic scan tool would likely be used by independent automotive service shops. It would cover a wide range of vehicles and not just be FCA-product specific.
Thank you valiant67 & ImperialCrown for helpful answers! Will start with a tire shop that are located at my work address. Do you think they will have equipment that can read DTC's in the WCM, or is the dealer the only one?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The TPMS light on constantly can also mean a malfunction in the system other than the sensor. Antenna, nodes, modules, etc...
Again, need to read the codes for the TPMS to help narrow it down.

There are tools that can wake the sensor without it rotating. Not sure if there are any vehicles that monitoring the spare tire, check your owner's manual to see if it says the spare is monitored as well.

Most Chrysler/FCA vehicles register new sensors in the system, just by driving the vehicle. My 2011 WK2 self registers new sensors. Some brands require special tools to register new TPMS sensors in the system, sometime the system can be tricked into registering the TPMS without special tools. My daughter has a Nissan. Nissan require special tools, but you can trick the system to register the new sensors, I've done it, it works.

Finally, I've read you can reset sensors by deflating the tire and re-inflating it, I do it after driving around the block to make sure the sensor is awake, deflate it to 10PSI (in think its actually 18PSI, but lower can't hurt) then re-inflate it back to normal pressure.

I have access to tire mounting/balancing machines. In my WK2, I replaced the tires myself and since it was coming up on 8 years, I also installed new sensors. One sensor was only reading 0 PSI with the TPMS warning light. I might have gotten soapy water in it, because I was sloppy with it lubing the beads. After I did the reset procedure, the sensor worked perfectly, maybe it was the reset procedure, maybe it was soapy water in the sensor and the rush of air deflating and re-inflating the tire might have cleared the water I got in the sensor during tire mounting.

But this deflate/re-inflate is an easy thing to try, so I would give it a try, it can't hurt.

·
Valued Member
2,245 Posts
Go to the fuse box and find the "IOD" fuse and pull it out for about 30 seconds and then re-install. I can't tell you many of these weird problems doing this has solved over the years. Give it a try!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Also there were 2 different sensors used that transmit on different frequencies; one for the 2005-2007 models and one for 2008-2010. I still have the original ones in my 07. Did you install the correct ones for your year!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Problem solved!! Turned out that all four wheel sensors were defect. Had them changed at a local tire shop with universal sensors that worked fine. So the sensors that I bought "new" on ebay in 2016 were probably defect at the time of purchase. Is there any way of telling how old they are from lokking at these pictures?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts