Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope no one has asked this already. Everytime i search for any thing here, there are hardly ever any results.

Is there another Mopar forum or Minivan forum that has more activity?

My question is about the TPMS sensors and how to determine which one is triggering the ding. It is driving me insane. Since the sensors are farely expensive, i would prefer not to have to replace them all. Also, does the TPMS monitor read the ABS sensors to determine if all of the tires have the same number of rotations or does it actually read each sensor and only report when one of the tires falls below the 25%? ;)

Thank you for your responses.

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
There is an actual sensor in each valve stem that reports pressure to the computer. The ABS is not used for TPMS in the van. If you don't have the display that shows the pressure in each tire you'll have to have a scanner hooked up to know which sensor is bad.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
Do you have the EVIC or is it the simple tire outline on the dash? Sounds you like you have the simpler design and not the EVIC. Does one tire appear to be lower in pressure? Did you check them with a tire gauge? The TPMS (as far as I know) does not use the ABS sensor. It's simply monitors the air pressure (to my knowledge). The light and chime will sound if one or more tires falls below the 25% threshold or there is an issue with the TPMS system.

I had the stem of a TPMS disintegrate on my 2010 Journey. Temporarily I had a regular valve installed. Yes, this resulted in the TPMS light on all the time, but we lived with until I could get it replaced. Mine only dinged at start up. We were leaving on a trip and didn't have time to have a new TPMS installed. I did eventually replace it when I purchased new tires. The Firestone shop only charged me for the new TPMS ($80) since I was already paying for the labor to mount and balance the new tires. No charge for any programming.

Have you had the TPMS system checked for any fault codes? You'll probably be charged a diagnostic fee (1 hour labor).

Here's what I found in my Journey manual:

Tire Pressure Monitoring Low Pressure Warnings
The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale light will
illuminate in the instrument cluster and a chime
will sound when tire pressure is low in one or
more of the four active road tires. Should this occur, you
should stop as soon as possible, check the inflation
pressure of each tire on your vehicle, and inflate each tire
to the vehicle’s recommended cold placard pressure
value. Once the system receives the updated tire pressures,
the system will automatically update and the Tire
Pressure Monitoring Telltale light will turn off. The
vehicle may need to be driven for up to 20 minutes above
15 mph (25 km/h) in order for the TPMS to receive this
information.

Check TPMS Warning
When a system fault is detected, the Tire Pressure Monitoring
Telltale light will flash on and off for 75 seconds
and then remain on solid. The system fault will also
sound a chime. If the ignition switch is cycled, this
sequence will repeat, providing the system fault still
exists. The Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale light will
turn off when the fault condition no longer exists. A
system fault can occur due to any of the following:
1. Jamming due to electronic devices or driving next to
facilities emitting the same Radio Frequencies as the
TPMS sensors.
2. Installing some form of aftermarket window tinting
that affects radio wave signals.
3. Lots of snow or ice around the wheels or wheel
housings.
4. Using tire chains on the vehicle.
5. Using wheels/tires not equipped with TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have the EVIC or is it the simple tire outline on the dash? Sounds you like you have the simpler design and not the EVIC. Does one tire appear to be lower in pressure? Did you check them with a tire gauge? The TPMS (as far as I know) does not use the ABS sensor. It's simply monitors the air pressure (to my knowledge). The light and chime will sound if one or more tires falls below the 25% threshold or there is an issue with the TPMS system.

I had the stem of a TPMS disintegrate on my 2010 Journey. Temporarily I had a regular valve installed. Yes, this resulted in the TPMS light on all the time, but we lived with until I could get it replaced. Mine only dinged at start up. We were leaving on a trip and didn't have time to have a new TPMS installed. I did eventually replace it when I purchased new tires. The Firestone shop only charged me for the new TPMS ($80) since I was already paying for the labor to mount and balance the new tires. No charge for any programming.

Have you had the TPMS system checked for any fault codes? You'll probably be charged a diagnostic fee (1 hour labor).

information.

Check TPMS Warning
TPMS sensors.
housings.
I have brand new tires all at around 37 psi. They are 235 65 17's all equal amount of pressure. What do you mean tire outline on the dash? This van is a crew and it is just about fully loaded. I do not know about the outline. What is EVIC?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

information.

Check TPMS Warning
TPMS sensors.
housings.
I do have the EVIC and i have the dvd owners manual. But i do not recall seeing anything in the EVIC regarding the tpms

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
Search your owner's manual for TPMS or under tires. It has to be in there somewhere.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it is i just watched it but, it says prwtty much the same as yours. I know,the sensors cost $50 to 70 a piece. There are no codes i do not believe ir what kind of scanner reader reads codes without illuminating the check engine lighy

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
Probably a drbIII scanner, but they are very expensive. Usually only dealers and shops have them. The inexpensive scanners only read the PCM codes, not the other modules such as the TPMS.

You can also download the owners manual in pdf format from www.dodge.com/owners.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably a drbIII scanner, but they are very expensive. Usually only dealers and shops have them. The inexpensive scanners only read the PCM codes, not the other modules such as the TPMS.

You can also download the owners manual in pdf format from www.dodge.com/owners.
Yes i have the owners manual. It does little good for determining which sensor is turning on the light though. Thank you for replying

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It seems to me that if Dodge would go to the trouble of integrating the TPMS system that it would at least be confugured or set up so that it could tell you which tire or sensor is causing the problem. I do not believe it is the air pressure. I know a lady that had the same problem and she had all of the sensors replaced and the problem went away. I just do not want to have to do that, nor should I have to. I have spent thousands on the van on repairs and still paying down many that I charged on my credit card. Plus i owe at leadt 2500 on it to Chase bank. The indicator does not cone on when i initially start it, it comes on intermittantly every time I drive it.

Anyway, thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
If all tire pressures are OK, then it may not be a low-pressure warning. The light will come on for other faults, like low battery, loss of communication, etc. I would not just replace sensors to try and remedy the light.
We need the fault code first.
Most reputable tire stores and all Chrysler dealers can read the WCM (wireless control module) codes. The TPM is done by small radio transmitters and receivers.
The deluxe version of the TPMS will tell you individual tire pressures while the standard system will just indicate a fault is present in the system. It will probably need a more advanced scan tool for the answer.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
It seems to me that if Dodge would go to the trouble of integrating the TPMS system that it would at least be confugured or set up so that it could tell you which tire or sensor is causing the problem.
It does if you have the more complex set up. If you have the EVIC then it should show the individual tire pressures. Mine is the simpler version where the profile of a tire lights up to indicate one or more tires is down on pressure or the system has a fault. Usually a visual check of the tires can determine which tire is low. On very few occasions I had to use a gauge to verify.

If the chime/light are intermittent then you need to have a tire store or dealer who has a more advanced scan tool (such as a drbIII) to retrieve the fault codes if any.

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
The DRB III worked on legacy and RS-body minivans up to 2007.
2008 and up RT-body minivans use the CAN communication bus and need a WiTech or other advanced tool.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If the alarm is there when the vehicle is stationary, and stops when sensing more air pressure, then you could inflate each tire in turn to see which tire it is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If all tire pressures are OK, then it may not be a low-pressure warning. The light will come on for other faults, like low battery, loss of communication, etc. I would not just replace sensors to try and remedy the light.
We need the fault code first.
Most reputable tire stores and all Chrysler dealers can read the WCM (wireless control module) codes. The TPM is done by small radio transmitters and receivers.
The deluxe version of the TPMS will tell you individual tire pressures while the standard system will just indicate a fault is present in the system. It will probably need a more advanced scan tool for the answer.
Thank you for this very useful information. I know that the battery is only a couple of months old and the warning comes on at least every 5 mins or less along with the chime. I put a sticker over the tire psi light and all of the tires are about a month old brand new. But, the tires that were on here before did the same thing. The psi is a little over 35. Something like 37 psi. It is unforturnate that i am no longer able to just whip out money left and right to pay for scans, diagnosis, or even get a minor dent repaired. Our business has been completely destroyed by Uber and i am wondering how i will even pay bills this month. Oh, so sorry. I did not mean to get off on a tangent. I guess i am just trying to find a distraction to keep me from accepting the reality. I guess i really have so many more things to worry about. Thank you again for your help. You are the best.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,977 Posts
I think IC may have been referring to the battery in the TPMS sensors in the wheel. The guestimate is they should last 7-8 years under normal usage (non-fleet).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It should have been that way from start. I mean Dodge has many other things that fail like the,TIPM that cost,1205.00 to replace that prevent a vehicle from even starting much less running. Every little thing that they skimp on just compounds to a numerous number of wxpensive and annoying issues

1 - 20 of 24 Posts