Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I REALLY hope this vehicle is successful. Yes, I'm not sure about the edge of the hood--waiting to see it in person, but spec-wise, it comes so close to my 95 GC Laredo, though short on torque since I got the V-8. But in areas I really care about, size, etc... it's a great fit for me.

My question is about the Trailhawk's (I think trim-exclusive?) 4WD system. Is it basically for rock-crawling? If that's true, I'd be a poser to upgrade to the Trailhawk just for that because my off-roading is much more conservative than that. Is it the only trim with Low range? I do like having that because I have to go down steep, slick driveways in the winter (and for other occasional uses.)

I priced them out on the Jeep site. I'm coming in at $35K, which is (I think) about $4-5K higher than my 95, but with a way better interior, gas mileage, inflation, etc... so I can't be TOO upset.

Thanks for any input, even if not related to the 4WD system.

Mark

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
95JeepGC said:
First let me say that I REALLY hope this vehicle is successful. Yes, I'm not sure about the edge of the hood--waiting to see it in person, but spec-wise, it comes so close to my 95 GC Laredo, though short on torque since I got the V-8. But in areas I really care about, size, etc... it's a great fit for me.

My question is about the Trailhawk's (I think trim-exclusive?) 4WD system. Is it basically for rock-crawling? If that's true, I'd be a poser to upgrade to the Trailhawk just for that because my off-roading is much more conservative than that. Is it the only trim with Low range? I do like having that because I have to go down steep, slick driveways in the winter (and for other occasional uses.)
I priced them out on the Jeep site. I'm coming in at $35K, which is (I think) about $4-5K higher than my 95, but with a way better interior, gas mileage, inflation, etc... so I can't be TOO upset.

Thanks for any input, even if not related to the 4WD system.

Mark
I'd wait until you see it, to proclaim it as roomy as your Grand Cherokee, while it's raw numbers don't look bad, it's not near as usable because of the design of the body. Measure your ice chest before you go.
The Trailhawk is NOT, I repeat NOT for rockcrawling, it's for dirt road travel to allow the short arm suspension the ability to lose contact with the ground and still retain traction. If you do not get the Trailhawk, then you are stuck with the dropped nose that would severely impact your approach angle, if you routinely travel that type of terrain. The Trailhawk is the only version with a "low range" HOWEVER, it is not a traditional low range, it is a two speed front transaxle and a two speed rear axle controller. All electronically controlled by the computer. There is no transfer case.

If you are looking for good fuel economy, wet pavement traction and an occasional forest road trip, it will be fine for that.
Just don't harbor any illusions of it being overly capable.
It's marketing's job to fool you and your job to be informed before you buy.

That said, it's probably able to fill your needs.

Reactions: CherokeeVision

·
Registered
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I'd wait until you see it, to proclaim it as roomy as your Grand Cherokee, while it's raw numbers don't look bad, it's not near as usable because of the design of the body. Measure your ice chest before you go.
The Trailhawk is NOT, I repeat NOT for rockcrawling, it's for dirt road travel to allow the short arm suspension the ability to lose contact with the ground and still retain traction. If you do not get the Trailhawk, then you are stuck with the dropped nose that would severely impact your approach angle, if you routinely travel that type of terrain. The Trailhawk is the only version with a "low range" HOWEVER, it is not a traditional low range, it is a two speed front transaxle and a two speed rear axle controller. All electronically controlled by the computer. There is no transfer case.

If you are looking for good fuel economy, wet pavement traction and an occasional forest road trip, it will be fine for that.
Just don't harbor any illusions of it being overly capable.
It's marketing's job to fool you and your job to be informed before you buy.

That said, it's probably able to fill your needs.
A 2 speed low range is available on more than the Trailhawk. The Active Drive II 4X4 system has a low range and is available on the Latitude and Limited models. The Trailhawk also has a 2 speed system; however, it includes a rear locker. It is called Active Drive lock.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/cherokee/capabilities/

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
dmcdonald said:
A 2 speed low range is available on more than the Trailhawk. The Active Drive II 4X4 system has a low range and is available on the Latitude and Limited models. The Trailhawk also has a 2 speed system; however, it includes a rear locker. It is called Active Drive lock.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/cherokee/capabilities/
Thanks! I may have read that wrong, or misremembered, the article stating the Trailhawk was the only version with "low range".
So all models with Active Drive II have a two speed rear axle and transaxle.

·
Registered
901 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Thanks! I may have read that wrong, or misremembered, the article stating the Trailhawk was the only version with "low range".
So all models with Active Drive II have a two speed rear axle and transaxle.
Yup, IIRC, the Sport is only available with the Active Drive I.
The Active Drive II is an optional upgrade on the Latitude and Limited for $995. It also gives you hill descent control and "off-road" suspension.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a more realistic view of my needs than I did when I bought the 95GC so long ago. If this vehicle is one step up from of what Subaru might make (with a bit more pulling power) then on paper it likely meets my needs. I don't do any rock-crawling besides small creek crossings.

Regarding interior capacity, I have a full-size spare tire eating up a lot of my cargo area so surely the 2014 Cherokee will come close in useful space. I really like the pictures of the new interior, but will reserve all judgment until the area car show in November.

My biggest use for low range in my current vehicle is that we are in a very hilly area with shaded curves that in winter can retain snow and packed ice (including my driveway.) Putting it in low range and just creeping down and around the curves was a piece of cake. I've used it in muddy fields also, but less frequently.

This is all about getting my bikes, canoes, kayaks, etc... to the North Carolina trailheads and not needing vehicle for the trail itself.

I'll take a look come November, but even if I love it, it would be really hard to part with a vehicle I've had for almost 19 years...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Looks like your needs are very similar to mine these days. I'm anxious to have a look at the Cherokee to see if it offers what I need :)

The Pat gets a little overwhelmed :)

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
dmcdonald said:
Looks like your needs are very similar to mine these days. I'm anxious to have a look at the Cherokee to see if it offers what I need :)

The Pat gets a little overwhelmed :)
Holy Smokes...that picture is awesome.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
95JeepGC said:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have a more realistic view of my needs than I did when I bought the 95GC so long ago. If this vehicle is one step up from of what Subaru might make (with a bit more pulling power) then on paper it likely meets my needs. I don't do any rock-crawling besides small creek crossings.

Regarding interior capacity, I have a full-size spare tire eating up a lot of my cargo area so surely the 2014 Cherokee will come close in useful space. I really like the pictures of the new interior, but will reserve all judgment until the area car show in November.

My biggest use for low range in my current vehicle is that we are in a very hilly area with shaded curves that in winter can retain snow and packed ice (including my driveway.) Putting it in low range and just creeping down and around the curves was a piece of cake. I've used it in muddy fields also, but less frequently.

This is all about getting my bikes, canoes, kayaks, etc... to the North Carolina trailheads and not needing vehicle for the trail itself.

I'll take a look come November, but even if I love it, it would be really hard to part with a vehicle I've had for almost 19 years...
That's a cool picture!
Looks like you could use a gear trailer!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks. I know the Pat is far from a perfect Jeep but I figure I might as well get as much from it as possible...lol
I tried uploading a pic of my XJ even more loaded but with my gear trailer but couldn't get it to go....will try again when I get to my computer.

·
Registered
901 Posts

XJ just before its new springs. The gear trailer has since been retired and a new one is still in the construction phase. Heavy duty frame and axle are complete but still debating what materials to use to complete the box. Would love to go with something like this.
http://www.dinoot.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts