Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in suburban Detroit in the 1970s I loved seeing new cars on the trains. In those days the autoracks were open like that so you could see the vehicles.

·
Got parts?
2,606 Posts
Wow, an old New York Central engine. They merged with the Pennsylvania to form Penn Central in 1968, but ran into financial difficulties soon after, and eventually merged with Conrail. NYC served the Detroit area, so it stands to reason that Mopar would use them to ship cars from their factories.

Note that each rack had 4 cars. When Iacocca was still at Ford, he ordered the Granada and Monarch to be a certain length so that 5 of them could fit on a rack, thus reducing some transportation costs.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in suburban Detroit in the 1970s I loved seeing new cars on the trains. In those days the autoracks were open like that so you could see the vehicles.
Still are in Europe.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Waiting to see a train load of 1963's!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
Note that each rack had 4 cars. When Iacocca was still at Ford, he ordered the Granada and Monarch to be a certain length so that 5 of them could fit on a rack, thus reducing some transportation costs.
That is also why the K car was shorter than the Chevrolet Citation and the other GM X cars.

Reactions: Stéphane Dumas
1 - 7 of 7 Posts