Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am at loss and do not know what to do, and the dealer does not know how to fix.

The only thing that helps is a "quick learn" seems to last a few months them it starts up again slowly, slamming into "drive" no issues when going into "reverse".

It seems to happen when the van is in reverse for longer period of time, like backing out of the dive way. Parking lots are quick and does not seem to happen as much.

I know it's bad when my wife is asking about it!

What am to do? The van only has 5200miles

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
You will need to start at the dealer level with the service manager and progress to the regional district manager if it needs to go that far. Gather your documents and arrange a meeting with the service manager to get the ball rolling.
The 'staying longer in reverse makes the shift clunk worse' could be a significant clue and make sure that the dealership is aware of it.
An ATF pressure gauge will have to be attached for diagnosis and getting the numbers for Chrysler's OK to service or replace the transaxle.
I'll bet that there is an internal fluid leak under pressure from the Reverse clutch circuit into a neighboring Underdrive clutch circuit. If any of the Underdrive CVI's have gained a lot in value from the last baseline measurement, this is why the quicklearn temporarily helps and would make me really suspect an internal leak.
The Low/Reverse clutch is engaged for both Reverse and 1st, so this clutch is applied in either range and shouldn't be related to this problem.
When you shift from R to D, the wrongly pressurized clutch element is causing the clunk until the pressure bleeds off. After backing up, try pausing in Neutral for a moment before going into D. This should give time for the pressure to dissapate and go smoothly into D. Try it anyway. It may prove out the theory. A pressure gauge test would confirm it and Chrysler could move forward on this repair. A quicklearn may be just a temporary band-aid.
The input clutch housing contains the Underdrive, Overdrive and Reverse clutches all in close proximity to each other.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks IC, I will continue to monitor and see if I can reproduce the clunk at the dealership. That van has an appointment next week to fix the front and rear seats, so if I can show them the clunk, just maybe they will listen to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
If you can demonstrate the issue and the service advisor (or better yet, service manager) witnesses it, make sure that it is documented in writing on the repair order. Tell them about the longer it is in Reverse, the worse it is. They may not have this piece of the puzzle and no expensive doodad tester that the dealership shop has would tell them this.
If by chance, they say it is normal have them document that in writing also, then ask to make an appointment with the district manger when he makes his rounds. Word-of-mouth will not get anything moving or protect you, it has to be in writing.
If you can jar them with the clunk that would be great, I think that they will believe you.
Is it worse hot or cold?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about about cold or hot, I always warm the car up before going anywhere.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got a call from the Wife...she is not too happy..it seems to be hitting very hard in Drive. It is going in tomorrow, I hope they can figure this out.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IC, I have been doing what you segested and the Harsh Dirve enguagment is almost not there. However it still will randomly hit hard, does not seem to mater if it is in Reverse for a longer time.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Random and intermittent can be hard to diagnose like that, unless they can witness it with test equipment attached or it leaves behind some stored diagnostic data.
If it can be left for a day or two with the service department, that will increase the chances of a successful diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ImperialCrown said:
Random and intermittent can be hard to diagnose like that, unless they can witness it with test equipment attached or it leaves behind some stored diagnostic data.
If it can be left for a day or two with the service department, that will increase the chances of a successful diagnosis.
I will try, but we need the Van and Chrysler does not offer Rental....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the dealer could not get the van to act up...no surprise. They did another relearn, so I will see what effect that has on the issue. The dealer did note the high idle and told me to let the idle come down before shifting, I let them know I always warm the van up before driving, but the idle still comes up at times. Still no explaination for the idle issue.

Well the van has 5 yr 100k miles to figure out this Trans issues....

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Had they mentioned anything about the CVI's creeping up to the high end of the limits? The technician is required to fill out a worksheet and attach it to the service file hard copy in any transaxle diagnosis like this. You should be welcome to ask this question of them and it may even help the diagnosis to get people thinking. Waiting for the fast idle to come down isn't really a good answer.
I would ask them to open up a STAR case with Chrysler on this problem. It will get more heads involved in resolving this issue.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so the cluck has come back. Tonight while doing some shopping the trans jumped into "drive" 4 different times in only 7 miles of driving. Always when moving from "reverse" to "drive" also it does not make the "ratchet" sound when it clunks/slams in to "drive" when it engages normally, you can hear the normal Chrysler trans sound.

Up to this point I thought all was ok, And it seemed to be working ok, we even took the van to Disneyland and not a single issue. And it seemed just come back out of the blue.

I just not sure what to do, IC I will be calling the dealer and letting them know what you have suggested and go from there.

I am actually kind of sad about this....

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Getting it to do it more consistently increases the chances of a resolution of the problem. That is the good part.
Once the dealer experiences it and can say that it is not normal, it will get things moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I would try somthing, I disconnected the battery for bit and the Trans has been fine all week, no clunks when going into drive and all shifting has/is great.

Come to think of it, shifting had always been great, it actually is better than my 200!

I guess I will have to do that every few months.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Battery disconnects and quicklearns are fine once in a great while, but if this has to be done regularly to fix the 'clunk' then you are treating the symptom and not really addressing the problem. You want the dealer to fix the problem.
If they have witnessed it and agreed that it isn't normal, then you need a written document (signed repair order) saying so and they need to open a STAR case with Chrysler to get this resolved.
I realize that that the clunk is intermittent, so let it get bad again and then take it in. Get the district service manager involved. Find out which day he comes in so he can experience it.
After the quicklearn, did the CVI's drop and which clutch value dropped the most? This would point to the problem area. If the CVI value is creeping upwards due to a small leak, it will eventually begin clunking again and the CVI value will be high (maybe even going out of range).
The UD (underdrive) and LR (low/reverse) clutches are used for 1st gear. The reverse and LR clutches are used for reverse. The LR clutch may be the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I traded my 2004 Honda Odyssey on a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT on 28 April and have 2,0000 miles on it now. Love the van, a huge improvement from the 1993 Gran Caravan I owned and the 2004 Odyssey, but I am also experiencing the transmission clunk. Not concerned about it at this point but am interested to see how Dodge addresses this issue. When I purchased the van I also purchased the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty offered by MOPAR so I am confident it will be covered. Very glad to be back in the Chrysler fold. Now to trade in the CR-V for a Journey...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ImperialCrown said:
Battery disconnects and quicklearns are fine once in a great while, but if this has to be done regularly to fix the 'clunk' then you are treating the symptom and not really addressing the problem. You want the dealer to fix the problem.
If they have witnessed it and agreed that it isn't normal, then you need a written document (signed repair order) saying so and they need to open a STAR case with Chrysler to get this resolved.
I realize that that the clunk is intermittent, so let it get bad again and then take it in. Get the district service manager involved. Find out which day he comes in so he can experience it.
After the quicklearn, did the CVI's drop and which clutch value dropped the most? This would point to the problem area. If the CVI value is creeping upwards due to a small leak, it will eventually begin clunking again and the CVI value will be high (maybe even going out of range).
The UD (underdrive) and LR (low/reverse) clutches are used for 1st gear. The reverse and LR clutches are used for reverse. The LR clutch may be the problem.
I will, it has been so difficult to get the van to the dealer for them to tell me they can't find the issue, so they did a "quick learn" and can be rather frustrating. I will keep an eye on it and see what makes the issue worse/better. Also I am stuck with out a car while dealer has it & I have kids to taxi around. Since it is the Trans, it should be covered for the 5yr 100k warranty, so I have some time to get the issue resolved.

One thing I am going to do, is keep a log if the issue, maybe that can help?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
A personal handwritten log may be useful, but the only one that Chrysler will recognize is the documented dealer work order history. Even if the dealer can't find anything yet, make sure that the dealer prints the concern/cause/correction on the work order. Word of mouth at the service counter or phone conversations won't hold any weight or protect you.
You want Chrysler to take notice and the only way to do that is with 'documented visits to the dealer'. A STAR case # can be assigned to your issue if you request it and may get things moving toward a resolution.
CVI's and TCM event data are useful diagnostic information for the dealer to use to find and fix the problem. It needs to act up and be verified by them. Resetting things to fix the clunk may prevent them from getting the information that they need to move forward to a repair.
Getting Chrysler to replace a transaxle is like pulling teeth. They may want to try everything else first, like a rebuild, etc. I doubt that it is electronic and I do suspect an internal problem, but getting them to that point will require 'following the steps on their terms' and patience.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy to report that all is well! Very happy about that, trans has been shifting great and no odd clunks. Now if could just get the idle figured out....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts