Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 sebring conv with 2.5 ltr. I have a trans fluid leak and don't know where to start to try to fix it. The bottom of the motor, down where the tranny fluid dipstick tube goes into motor, has a flat area and has fluid sitting on that flat area. The tube goes into the motor right in that flat area and I also have small puddle on ground right under the same area. It doesn't matter if I drive it or not. It can sit in same spot for 2 days and the puddle will still develop. I just want to make sure I start with the easiest possibilities 1st. Anyway, I always appreciate everyones advice and knowlege since I obviously don't know half the things you all do. Thanks, Marc.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Degrease the area with solvent and rinse. The nearby cooler hose clamps can loosen and leak down onto this area.
The sol pack can leak and road draft can blow ATF upwards onto this area. If you have the black foam silencer cover over the sol pack, that may have to be removed for degreasing and watching for a leak.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so that's the 1st step? I understand. The sol pack? Not sure what that is. I do have the haynes 96-2000 manual. Maybe it will help me with sol pack. But the fact that it leaks onto ground while just sitting for couple days, does that mean serious work to fix. And the tube that goes into that area, is it possibly the problem or do those not usually have issues? The car hit something on pass side and jolted the car kind of hard. But didn't crush fender or nothing, just jolted car kind of hard. And I'm not sure if any of the leaking started after the minor jolt. It does have a deep sound now when I crank it up but cant hear that sound when I take off and drive it. Man, sometimes I wish u were right up the road and I could drive my cars to your house! Ha! Anyway, thanks again. Will update when i get the area clean and checked real good.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Sol pack=solenoid pack. The hydraulic valve body at the front of the transaxle with the 8-wire connector on it.
Also the dipstick tube does have a sealing o-ring on the tube where it pushes into the trans case. This can also leak.
Dry the area or else it looks like everything is leaking. This will help you locate the leak source.
If a noise has started since hitting something, it might be a good idea to have a shop put it up in the air and look for damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts