Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to check/addrans fluid to my 2012 T&C? My 2009 Journey had the tube, so it could be checked. I dont see anywhere you can even check the fluid on the T&C.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
You should still have a dipstick tube plugged with a plastic cap on top. Note that the cap can be re-used, but that it will show that it has been tampered with if removed. Replacement caps can be purchased at the parts counter. You will need to know the approximate ATF+4 temperature and measure the level (I used a length of flexible speedometer cable and listen for the light 'thunk' as is bottoms on the pan bottom) or a special tool:
$(KGrHqFHJ!sE-f8g2LWJBPyUH43gY!~~60_35.JPG
Use the temperature chart for the 62TE to determine the correct level range. It can vary about an inch over a 100〫F range, so it is important to know the transaxle temperature. Gone are the days of the easy 'Full' and 'Add' marks.:
http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/CRY933_Dip_Stick_Instructions.pdf
If it needs adding, there is a leak and the dealer should handle it. If the underside of the transaxle and cooler are dry, then we should expect the ATF level to be safe.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is just fine, I was just checking the oil and was looking around and noticed that there was no tube for the Trans....maybe I missed it? Curiosity got the better of me! :excited:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Wow that is garbage . So basically the do it yourselfer is up the creek if he wants to do any of his own tranny maintenance. This forces you to go to the dealer. What's next no oil filler tube or access to the oil filter ??? :thumbsdown:

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
While you and I may be perfectly capable of maintaining transaxle fluid, not everyone else is. And if the way to ensure that fluid doesn't get contaminated or the wrong fluid gets used during the warranty period (and remember, that was the prime reason for A604/Ultradrive/4*TE failure in the past - the use of incorrect fluid) is to seal the system and make it a dealer item, then that's what happens.

Chrysler is not the only automaker that does this today.

And, as IC notes, there is a procedure available should you want to tackle it yourself and take on that responsibility.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok found it! However I need to know if there is supposed to be a cap? There is nothing covering it and that seems wrong?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
There should be a plastic cap on top of the tube. It should not be open to air. See the dealer.
If it was removed for an ATF check, it should be replaced. They may not fit securely after removal.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks IC, I will be calling the dealer today, I just hope fluid does not come out while driving, that could be a big fire hazard.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do that today

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Trans fluid analyzed and all is good(according to dealer) so quick learn was done and new cap installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts