Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have this post on the specialty forum section but decided to put this on the General section for some addition help.

97 Plymouth Voyager 2.4 ltr 3 speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

After reading this article on Allpar. I was wondering if I need to put the voyager with my type of tranny in DRIVE when flushing so the Torque also gets flushed out.

The last time I did a flush, I DID NOT put the Van in Drive during a flush. ???? Maybe I never got the bad fluid out of the converter.

Does my type of transmission need to be in drive during flushing? Or do I just flush while in Park?

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next portion of the procedure, make sure that the parking brake is set prior to continuing. Start the engine. The transmission needs to be put into "Drive" so the torque converter fluid is changed as well. Some transmissions will only circulate fluid through the torque converter only in drive. This especially applies to the electronically controlled transmissions. [Craig Sherman noted that Drive is needed for most transmissions, based on technical manuals]
After approximately 4 to 5 quarts (obviously, if it's more than 4 quarts, you'll have to turn of the engine, and fetch another milk jug) of fluid have been pumped out, you should notice a change in the color of the fluid. It should go from a brownish red color, to a bright pinkish red color. When this happens, all of the old fluid has been replaced with new fluid.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Does not need to be in Drive for most automatics. Put it in Neutral with the brake set. Many automatics do not turn the pump in Park, but do in Neutral. Be careful not to let it run low on fluid, use a funnel with a wide hose so you can get the fluid in as fast as it pumps out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help!

So I'm assuming the last time I did a ATF flush in park, I did not get the old ATF out OF THE coverter.

Now I know why I'm having some tranny issues because I flushed in park.

Would it hurt to flush in either in neutral or Drive?

Tomorrow am I'm going to flush and just want to make sure ready and doing it right time around.

Thank you
JAG

Wo

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Neutral is just safer, without the wheels being driven. If no fluid pumps, then this will be one of the transmissions that only pumps in gear - but I think it will pump in neutral.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

The last time i did the flush I had it in park and it did pump out.

So I'm assuming it did not get anything out of the converter even though it pumped out fluid.

Again thx for the help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A success!!

After flushing with 9 quarts of ATF 4 until perfectly clear,
refilled with 2+ quarts and a new filter, the Voyager shifts like new! Wow! When
I checked the dip stick the ATF look so much better then before However, I’m
going to pull down the pan after the next 500 miles to see how things look and
at the same time replace the filter.

I think because I didn’t get a chance to clear out the
converter during the flush while running in neutral was a big deal. It’s good
to know that you need to put the vehicle in Neutral while flushing. With that
entire gunk left behind, it clogged the filter etc and it was a matter of time.

Thank for all for the help Imperial Crown and Bob!!

JAG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts