Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought this car in 2003 with about 25K miles on it, I've noticed a slight hesitation - sometimes - when the car begins to move then a soft "catch" as though the transmision turned and finally caught a gear. I believe this is what I've read as "a bump"... but I'm not sure.

Over the years, I've had at least three licensed mechanics drive the car with that symptom as the target. A mechanic from one of Akron, Ohio's largest transmission shops (Richard's Garage) asked it the indicator light ever lit on the dash, I answered "No", he checked the fluid, closed the hood, and told me to turn up the radio and forget about it; his way of telling me I was - perhaps - being too cautious.

Over the past year, I've noticed the "bump" has become more noticable and occurs often. It's only in that first gear and feels like a worn universal joint would feel on rear wheel drive vehicles. The shift to other gears is always smooth, almost seamless.

I've read there are software updates that affect the transmission but noone has recommended I do anything with this. But I haven't complained for some time. Now, with the increased frequency, I'm wondering what the root cause is ... again.

Any thoughts or advise... unrelated to the radio?

·
Super Moderator
31,988 Posts
Have you ever changed the fluid? If not, you really don't know what's in there. Start with a fresh batch of ATF+4 and a new filter.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
Yep, fresh fluid and filter first and if there is a software update theat would be the next step.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trans fluid and filter changed about 30K miles ago, Nov 2009. I am guilty of rolling stops but I think it occurs on a regular straightaway shot as well. I'll be more observant of that. Finally, about that software update... I never got a notice about an update. What's the story? How do I identify it so I can read about it before I see a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
You would not be notified of a software update unless it was for a recall. The vast majority of them are not.
Look for a sticker with a part number on the transmission computer. if it's had a reflash there shoudl be a decal on it.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
There was a flash for harsh 4-3 downshifts, but not for 2-1 downshifts. Try a quicklearn if it still bumps after a filter/fluid change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Quicklearn"? Where do I get instructions to do that? Never heard of it.

P.S. There's a problem with your website. MY IE9 browser doesn't display an area to respond to posts and FireFox 16.0.2 reports the post is "empty" although a reply was typed in the reply window.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
Quick learn is a function on an advanced scan tool that can interact with the transmission computer. Dealers will have that as will many shops.
Make sure the fluid and filter are changed with ATF+4 then have the shop use the quick learn function on the scan tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts