Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 Caravan 3.3 4 speed time to replace the transmission oddly enough not because it's dead it has developed a lot of leaks and mileage seems not worth the bother at this point to repair it almost 340 thousand kilometers on it at this point the plan is to rebuild it later down the road.
The parts van the 99 has a build date of 1/99 which means it has the blade type connector the 96 has a build date of 5/96 which means it does have the TRS i did look at it it is the round pins now according to Alldata pin for pin they are the same i will attach a couple of pictures showing the pinouts .
If i am reading this right i should be able to cut off the connector from the 99 and just wire it pin for pin in the 96 harness and all should be well ? I understand the torque convertor/flywheel could be different but i wont know that till i haul it all apart and as i have the complete donor van it wont be an issue. The only other thing i am wondering about is should could ? i replace the tcm ? Use the 99 in the 96 seems like that might be the best move due to year to year improvements ? Also there was a dealer update to the pcm of the 96 the tag shows it was done on may 17 2000 but there are 2 stickers showing updates one shows 05003978ab as a part number and c1521 as a dealer code which i think is a tcm update ?

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
It is very unlikely the 1999 TCM will be compatible with the electronics in the 1996 van. You can try it, but the best bet is a properly updated 1996 TCM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valiant67 said:
It is very unlikely the 1999 TCM will be compatible with the electronics in the 1996 van. You can try it, but the best bet is a properly updated 1996 TCM.
Ok there was a dealer update to the pcm of the 96 the tag shows it was done on may 17 2000 but there are 2 stickers showing updates one shows 05003978ab as a part number and c1521 as a dealer code which i think is a tcm update ? I found a file called chrysler_pcm_flash_availability.pdf which shows this to be just that specfically refering to TSB's 21-02-98 and 21-05-96 . Will the TCM work as is ? Am i correct that the wiring on the TRS is just pin for pin ?

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
50003978AB is the latest and greatest software update for that TCM, but the 1996 TCM won't fully support a 1999 transaxle. There are differences. A flash only updates the TCM for its particular application, the update can't vary the intended application to cover other possible applications.
The 1999 transaxle has an ATF temperature sensor that the 1996 does not. There may be TRS input differences as well. A 1999 TCM may be required to fully support the electronics in a 1999 transaxle.
Go pin-for-pin when splicing in the new blade terminal-style TRS connector, not color-for-color as you will probably find that the wire colors vary slightly.
Valiant has it right. It may or may not play nice with the present 1996 PCM. You might want to try it and see if it will work correctly first, but be prepared if it does not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ImperialCrown said:
50003978AB is the latest and greatest software update for that TCM, but the 1996 TCM won't fully support a 1999 transaxle. There are differences. A flash only updates the TCM for its particular application, the update can't vary the intended application to cover other possible applications.
The 1999 transaxle has an ATF temperature sensor that the 1996 does not. There may be TRS input differences as well. A 1999 TCM may be required to fully support the electronics in a 1999 transaxle.
Go pin-for-pin when splicing in the new blade terminal-style TRS connector, not color-for-color as you will probably find that the wire colors vary slightly.
Valiant has it right. It may or may not play nice with the present 1996 PCM. You might want to try it and see if it will work correctly first, but be prepared if it does not.
Ok well i do have the 99 TCM if needed and i thought it was pin for pin at least it certainly looked that way in the Alldata . We are in the middle of pulling the trans out of the 99 right now the crank sensor broke off on the bell housing and seems to be seized in there so we are struggling with that right now trying to get it out .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts