Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my regular parts store and at least one tranny shop are having trouble finding parts for my transmission. What's happening is that I have a junk tranny out of a parts car in the car right now, and I have the (marginally) better one out, waiting to be fixed up. It's making bearing noise, and I figured if it's going to be open it's probably worth having syncros done too (I'm aiming for longetivity with my project). Does anyone know where I can get parts to do the rebuild myself or to give to a shop?

88 Shelby Z, turbo II

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
I ran mine nearly dry and I don't know for how long. I filled it only to find that the bearing noise didn't go away. That was a year ago. I filled it and then put in some Lucas oil treatment. It seems that the leak is gone (or greatly minimized) and while the noise is still there it still works just fine. I have a spare which I'll put in when I get the motovation or if this when breaks.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the A555 transmission. I believe it was the only one to come in the turbo IIs.

One shop has told me that it was a "bad transmission so nobody makes kits for it anymore." I was under the impression that the A555 was one of the best standards you could get for these cars. Oh well. I've gotten some recommendations for some much more reputable transmission shops so I'm going to try them instead. I don't think the syncros are totally necessary, but I do remember shifting into first and reverse to be a bit of a pain (second was fine, so I don't think it was linkage).

Also Bob, the transmission that is currently in the car isn't the one to be rebuilt, so I'm more concerned with getting the original one into a "like new" state before it goes into the car.

Also, if worse comes to worst, I could save up a bit and order one from FWD performance. The only thing that worries me there is the shipping because I'm in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
These weren't 'bad' transaxles. There never really was a rebuild kit for stick-shifts, you just replaced what it needed. Gaskets were RTV.
Hard shifting into 1st and reverse could be from a slightly dragging clutch or worn fluid. I agree that the synchros are probably OK, but inspecting them for wear during the rebuild would be wise.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Shift cable adjustment can make all the difference. When I bought my 84 Turbo Z from an Allpar member, he said that the 1-2 syncro was shot, wouldn't downshift into 2nd. Well, I found that it wouldn't. However, once I adjusted the shift cables, it shifts fine into every gear, there was no syncro damage at all. Just a simple 15-minute free maintenance procedure.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob Lincoln said:
Shift cable adjustment can make all the difference. When I bought my 84 Turbo Z from an Allpar member, he said that the 1-2 syncro was shot, wouldn't downshift into 2nd. Well, I found that it wouldn't. However, once I adjusted the shift cables, it shifts fine into every gear, there was no syncro damage at all. Just a simple 15-minute free maintenance procedure.
I don't believe it was the shifter cables, I could get into 2nd with absolutely no problem. Maybe it could be a clutch thing. I may just replace the bearings and see how it goes since I have two anyway.

Anyone have advice about cleaning the transmission parts before I put it back together? It's been out of the car for about two years with the cover not sealed.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I've never serviced them. I'd clean dust off and re-oil them lightly. Use a good 5W-30 oil to refill, 2.2 qts from dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts