Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle = 2008 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 131k miles.

We've been having a pesky transmission fluid leak on the right (drivers side) front. We have had the 2 main lines replaced but when looking closer there appears to be a total of 3 lines. This 3rd line runs from the top of the transmission (hard line) to a soft hose that then goes down to the bottom of the radiator to another hard line that THEN runs along the front bottom edge to the passenger side to somewhere...Can't locate the end due to the weather and not being able to see very well.

So, what is this 3 rd line? When I search for "cooler lines" all I get are results for the 2 we have had replaced already.

Thank You!

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
. . . We've been having a pesky transmission fluid leak on the right (drivers side) front. We have had the 2 main lines replaced but when looking closer there appears to be a total of 3 lines. This 3rd line runs from the top of the transmission (hard line) to a soft hose that then goes down to the bottom of the radiator to another hard line that THEN runs along the front bottom edge to the passenger side to somewhere...Can't locate the end due to the weather and not being able to see very well. . . .
I believe the line you reference is a power steering line, not a transmission cooler line. See attached image.

If this picture represents what you are seeing on your van, then you have a power steering line leak. By year 2008 Chrysler was specifying ATF+4 transmission fluid in power steering units so it would be easy to confuse and think you have a transmission leak.

A C Condenser Transmission Cooler Steer Line.gif

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the line you reference is a power steering line, not a transmission cooler line. See attached image.

If this picture represents what you are seeing on your van, then you have a power steering line leak. By year 2008 Chrysler was specifying ATF+4 transmission fluid in power steering units so it would be easy to confuse and think you have a transmission leak.

View attachment 79455
That's IT!! Awesome! Thank You! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's IT!! Awesome! Thank You! :)
Ok, so I've pretty much scoured Youtube for a How To for replacing this line but all I see are either 2000 or 2012 and up.

I "believe" this is the Mopar part number = 4766308AC

I'm not against just diving in to replace this but if it requires removal of the radiator or condenser I might be hosed (for now) on this.

Any tips? Does it just attach on top then feed through the front to the other side and I can do the reverse with the new one?

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE Apparently this is a HOT item. I just called my local dealer and it's back ordered!

So, with that said, would it work to replace most of this line with a properly rated hose? If so what would you rated hose would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
. . . I "believe" this is the Mopar part number = 4766308AC . . . . . .
Do a Google search on query line enter MOPAR 4766308AC. You will see listings for this part on Ebay and other retailers. Some will be MOPAR discount retailers. I think most of the MOPAR discount retailers are actually FCA dealers who parts departments sell online. You may or may not be successful in finding this line. RockAuto.com has a retail listing for this power steering return line.

This power steering line is the return line from the steering rack assembly to the pump. So it is low pressure so you could substitute transmission cooler line hose with appropriate clamps for a work-a-round solution. Do NOT use fuel line hose. Most auto parts stores sell transmission cooler hose in various sizes in bulk by the foot.

You need to determine exactly where the line has developed a leak. It could be leaking at the crimp where the metal line mates to the hose. Abrasion could have caused a small hole to develop in the flexible hose or the metal line. Investigate so the fix you put in place does not suffer the same fate.

. . . I'm not against just diving in to replace this but if it requires removal of the radiator or condenser I might be hosed (for now) on this. . . .
I would strongly suggest removing the entire front bumper fascia / grill or clip. Once removed you have open access to the A C condenser, transmission cooler, radiator and the power steering return line. Removal of the front fascia is not as difficult as one would think. Follow this Y T video where removal of the front fascia is shown.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts