Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 300M San Diego

Transmission went into limp mode throwing codes P0733, P0734. and P1781.

Took car to local transmission shop for analysis. They say it's not going into 4th gear and hub or other hard parts are broken.

Estimate to tear down and rebuild is $3000-$3500. This seems high to me.

Seems like I should be able to get a rebuilt installed for less than this.

Anybody had recent experience with this situation?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It does seem high, but there are a lot of variables.
Did you get an itemized estimate? I would get 2 more for comparison. Some shops like to highball estimates or give a worst case scenario in order to cover unexpected repairs or pad the bill so that they don't lose. Remember that no estimate is certain until the transaxle is apart and on the workbench.
Extras like a replacement radiator for the ATF cooler and a reman torque converter will add to the bill. A flash software update to the TCM would be dealer-only.
Were these guys recommended to you or have you dealt with them for work in the past?
Google the shop for customer concerns or complaints. Be aware that these results can be skewed also.
The hub can fracture at the 'spin weld'. Newer ones are much more robust.
Lastly, does the condition of the rest of the vehicle warrant such a large repair expenditure? Is the rest of the vehicle in pretty good shape?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Car is in great shape with only 66k miles.
At that price range of the trans. repair, I intend to get a least 3 estimates before I make any decision.
I've used this shop in the past and been satisified. They also get good reviews on line, but we're talking 60-70% of what the vehicle is worth.
In my online research some folks are recommending to find someone that will install a used transmission with a year guarantee.
Anyone had experience with that route?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Used transaxles may be unpredictable or may be just fine. 1 year warranty is pushing it. That would probably hinge on the salvage yard's warranty. Most are 30 or 90 day.
Discuss your options with the shop. They may want to work with you on this if they really want your business and continued patronage. Repeat customers usually get special consideration.
As a technician, I would do most anything the customer wanted, even if it was not particularly recommended. The service manager's/shop owner's decision is the final say. See what they will do for you.
A fresh ATF+4 and filter, fresh differential fluid change (the differential is in a separate sump in the 42LE) and quicklearn would complete the installation service. It would help the transaxle not to get damaged from deteriorated fluids.
There was a TCM flash on Chrysler TSB # 18-14-00 for a harsh 4-3 downshift condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts