Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all new to the forums looking for some suggestions on a transmission I've got a 2003 Dodge Ram four-door with a 440 and it 727 3-speed automatic looking to put a 4:56 gear in the rear end and wondering what my best option would be whether it be manual or automatic that I should put behind that motor

·
Got parts?
2,610 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It probably depends on how you intend to use the truck. For off-roading and stump-pulling, a sturdy manual might be better, but if it will be a daily driver, the 727 was the original equipment automatic with the 440, and should be your best choice, so long as it's fully functional. Dexron trans fluid is what it calls for, but ATF+4 is compatible with it.

·
Super Moderator
38,067 Posts
So many things not mentioned about the use of the truck.
With such steep gearing, if you plan on any highway speed use you've got to have an overdrive transmission. This rules out a 727 and the normal 833 4 speed. There are auto overdrive transmission options but none are a direct bolt on to a 440. But there are adapters that can let you run the OD version of the 727, the A518 or 4RH as long as you manually control the shift to OD and torque converter lockup or install a kit to handle this. Or there are aftermarket solutions which likely involve a GM OD automatic.
There was an overdrive version of the A833 4 speed, but it's weaker. So I'd look for an aftermarket 5 speed if you go with the manual option.

·
Registered
361 Posts
What about the Gear Vendor Over/Underdrive?

I remember people talking about these a lot about 15 years ago over on moparchat.

If memory serves correctly a lot of guys were running 4.10 and not overrevving on highway with those.

Only con I remember people having was price.

·
Premium Member
20,189 Posts
The old adage of Gear Vendor is the cost. An adapter and new rebuilt transmission is cheaper than a Gear Vendor add-on overdrive last I checked.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think he was either braging or looking for attention: in other words “hey look what I just did!”

iho if he really did this project he is very capable of adding a overdrive transmission to his truck. I’d go nv3500 or any other manual transmission he could find.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
How big are the tires??

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
OP made one post, never back on the site!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts