Allpar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1994 dodge dakota SLT with v-8 and 4 speed auto. Well the transmission is dead in it., so I was thinking about putting a 6 speed auto in it. What are your options, and is it possible? I know I would need a different driveshaft, and I would need the time for the tranny and wire harness and have to move some bracing.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
Like a 68RFE? In a 1994? The electronics would be the brick wall. They are generations apart from each-other.
Maybe a stick-shift conversion. It would still be a lot of work and you would want to find a parts donor truck for the swap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think you have a 46RH and check out Chrysler 46RH Transmission to rebuild what you have better. If you had a 45RFE you might be able to put in a 545/or 65/or 66RFE but not a 68RFE, but as far as programing etc. do not know if the computers can be re-programmed. The trannies share a lot of the same parts and shift solenoids .. but a stick shift now that would be awesome and I'm looking into that option myself but still not easy. Look at NV5600 or G56 for stick options.

Welcome to Allpar

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
Probably a 44RH and not a 46RH behind a 318?
This is one of those "if you have to ask how" questions, you probably can't do it.
You'd need a stand-alone transmission controller. I'm not sure such a thing exists for the 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably a 44RH and not a 46RH behind a 318?
This is one of those "if you have to ask how" questions, you probably can't do it.
You'd need a stand-alone transmission controller. I'm not sure such a thing exists for the 6 speed auto.
Yeah I have been looking and I have not been able to find one yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you have a 46RH and check out Chrysler 46RH Transmission to rebuild what you have better. If you had a 45RFE you might be able to put in a 545/or 65/or 66RFE but not a 68RFE, but as far as programing etc. do not know if the computers can be re-programmed. The trannies share a lot of the same parts and shift solenoids .. but a stick shift now that would be awesome and I'm looking into that option myself but still not easy. Look at NV5600 or G56 for stick options.

Welcome to Allpar
Thanks, yes it is the 46rh. It was a option on that model as a heavy duty transmission. 44rh was the standard automatic that came with it. I guess I could just change out the rear end gears for lower ratio to get better fuel efficiency. Not going to haul or tow anything. Not to sure what's in it, guess I need to call the dealership back and ask.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
Swapping rear axle gearing and replacing the 5.2 with a 5.9 would both be so much easier than the transmission swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not switching out engines yet, but I am going to put on a better intake manifold and aluminum cylinder heads with more and better air flow. The only oil leak is the valve covers and that's common with any truck with alot of miles. Might swap out the cam too. But I haven't desided what parts I'll use. Looking at summit, seems I don't have many choices to pick from for this engine. But I think I can make something happen. It's rated at 230 hp, like 330 - 350hp

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
I'm not switching out engines yet, but I am going to put on a better intake manifold and aluminum cylinder heads with more and better air flow. The only oil leak is the valve covers and that's common with any truck with alot of miles. Might swap out the cam too. But I haven't desided what parts I'll use. Looking at summit, seems I don't have many choices to pick from for this engine. But I think I can make something happen. It's rated at 230 hp, like 330 - 350hp
You aren’t going to gain 100 horsepower with heads and an intake. You’re gonna need a 360, stroke oit to a 408 and you 100 hp gain will be more likely to happen.
Or forced induction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I was thinking cam too, better exhaust, and work up to a turbo. But if I'm going to do forced induction. Then I might as well do a complete overhaul and prep the block for it gaping the rings, lower compression, better pistons, etc

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Well I was thinking cam too, better exhaust, and work up to a turbo. But if I'm going to do forced induction. Then I might as well do a complete overhaul and prep the block for it gaping the rings, lower compression, better pistons, etc
Never pee away money on any 318. Valiant has it right. Get a 360, and enjoy the cheap torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so the 360 will drop in pretty easy? I know it will mate up with this tranny. Just need a cpu, or can the one for the 318 be re-programmed for the 360? Will I need to upgrade the radiator?. The one in it needs replaced so I was going to get a bigger one already. Is the exhaust big enough for it or should I go up 1/2 inch? Just picking your brain.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I guess I could just change out the rear end gears for lower ratio to get better fuel efficiency. Not going to haul or tow anything. .
- and here comes the magic i whant two opposite things at the same time problem.
A 5.9 with our without performance work wont in any way increase fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ok, so the 360 will drop in pretty easy? I know it will mate up with this tranny. Just need a cpu, or can the one for the 318 be re-programmed for the 360? Will I need to upgrade the radiator?. The one in it needs replaced so I was going to get a bigger one already. Is the exhaust big enough for it or should I go up 1/2 inch? Just picking your brain.
Not sure about the CPU.. but exhaust upgrade helps big time with these motors, First time I upgrades an exhaust on a 318 was a total surprise to me ... just do not go to much bigger, I saw fuel improvements on highway use and better power.

·
Super Moderator
38,715 Posts
The 1992 and 1993 exhaust was bigger. The Magnum engine was retuned for better torque in 1994. There’s lots and lots of Dakota swap info if you Google it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts