Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, coming home from Florida today, just outside of Atlanta, a light came on for my traction control and it flashed the message "service stabilitrak soon". Then about 15 minutes later, the CEL came on. I pulled over and checked every fuse, relay and connector I could find and everything looked good and the Equinox was running great, shifting and stopping fine and after the CEL came on, I swear that my gas mileage picked up by 2mpg according to the EVIC system on the dash. I figured "what the hell, just try to get home" and continued on my way, because I know that I don't have to have the stabilitrak for the vehicle to operate and a CEL doesn't mean imminent shutdown, just get it checked out. I stopped at the local Autozone and the young lady that read the codes for me couldn't tell me diddly squat about what they mean. She came up with a C-0561 which she said means that the abs system has been disabled. She then gave me a P1779 and couldn't tell me what that's related to and then a P0404 and a P0405, both of which are EGR related. I made that comment and she said "I don't think so." So, I left just as confused and irritated as when I stopped. Checking the Haynes manual I have when I got home, I see the P0404 and P0405 are both EGR related with the 0404 saying that there is a range or performance problem and the 0405 saying EGR recirculation valve position sensor A circuit is low. Can anyone PLEASE explain to me what any of these mean in laymans terms? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I've been tinkering with cars for over 40 years, but don't claim to be a mechanic. Could pulling a 4x8 U-haul trailer for 120 miles have caused any of this to happen? I didn't have 200 pounds of stuff in it, as most of it was a rosin type set of patio furniture for my mother in law. I'm disabled and have a very limited income and live check to check and can't afford to go to a dealership to let them tell me it's going to cost several thousand dollars to fix a vehicle that's only worth about $7,000. I need to know if you guys think it's time to fix it, trade it or burn it. I appreciate any help you can provide. I'm just puzzled because it's running great, getting better than average mileage that I'm used to and shifts and stops just fine. Sorry for such a long post, but I'm trying to be as detailed as I can.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Just trying to logically get through this...

Stabilitrak is the electronic stability control system, which is the evolution of ABS. So, an ABS failure would also mean that stabilitrak wouldn't work.

Could there be an electrical problem, like two wires shorted on each other? It's like one wire overheated and burned through, then burned through an adjacent wire a couple of minutes later...

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Tannon. I was thinking perhaps a burned wire or vacuum leak in the system, but took it to my local GM dealer this morning and had them do a diagnostic. For only $89.56 they told me it's the EGR valve. Seems it's only operating at 70% capacity and that triggered the ABS to shut down and the ABS shut down triggered the stabilitrak and traction control to shut down too. Apparently, they're all related to saving the systems that are not needed to still drive the vehicle. The dealership offered to replace it (EGR valve) for ONLY $397.53. I told them no thanks and left. Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly and NAPA all have the EGR valve for about $73.00. Even gmparts direct has it for $76.67. These guys (dealership) apparently have a 100% markup and then really stick it to you for a couple of hours labor too. I can change it myself in about 20 minutes. It's right on top of the engine on the front. Two bolts and an electrical connector. I'm no genius, but I can do this easily, bad back and brain damaged as I am.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hot Diggity Dog! I disconnected the battery ground, removed the EGR valve and gave it a good cleaning and hooked everything back up and all of the codes are gone and the lights are off for now. Who knows how long it will last? But, for now, everything is back to "normal". If it does it again, at least I'll know what it is and that I will most likely just replace the EGR valve.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that lasted all of 20 minutes. My son took the Equinox across the river to Pizza Hut and on the way, he said the lights and chime came back on. I went to Autozone and got a new EGR valve and replaced it. Took my wife to a doctors appointment this morning and the 30 mile round trip was uneventful. Apparently, the EGR valve was the problem. My mileage actually has already improved 2mpg. Maybe it will get better since the original 120,000 mile EGR wasn't operating properly. I guess time will tell the tale. Would someone please post that this problem has been solved or answered. I'm not finding the "mark solved" button. Thanks.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,677 Posts
$397.53 is a ridiculous charge to replace the EGR valve. Glad you could do it yourself.

A few years ago when the EGR on my '06 Ram failed, it was a dealer only part. $77 at the closest dealer. Two others wanted $90+. Of course, 6 months later the parts stores started carrying them - $40. Go figure.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Interesting story Chuzz. Glad you got it fixed. It's strange how one thing leads to another. We actually test drove a 2010 Equinox before settling on the RAV. I have always been suspicious of GM products after hearing of so many expensive repairs from co-workers. But then again, GM vehicles are very popular here, so the repair stories that caused me to form my opinion my be biased just because so many people buy GM here.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you, Johh. Most of the "good ole boys" around here are Chevy and Ford men, with Chevy being the primary choice. According to the service manager, everything I mentioned is all vacuum operated and the EGR set off a chain of events. Kind of makes me want to go back to the old 60's model cars that you could actually work on without needing $20,000 worth of diagnostic equipment. I realize that todays cars are more efficient and safer, but they sure can drive you nuts! With the new EGR valve and a trip of over 250 miles yesterday, I did notice that my mileage has improved 1.1 mpg on the average. I'll take that.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
That's really weird, that an EGR valve issue would shut down ABS and traction control. I don't see ANYTHING in a faulty EGR that could hurt the brakes or handling. I would think they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit if someone crashed and got hurt or killed because the brakes didn't antilock like they're supposed to because an emissions control device wasn't working 100%...

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's pretty strange, Tannon, that's for sure. I guess it's all vacuum related, but I agree that it's a poorly engineered setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts