Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The info on the driver door of my 2001 caravan says it was manufactured in Canada (CAN, not CA for California, complete with maple leaf design...lol), according to all of the VIN checkers and decoders I have found, the first digit of the VIN, which is "1", indicates made in USA. I seem to recall seeing "Canada" somewhere under the hood as well. Whats going on with this? Does it mean the van was made in US for export (or import if you live in Canada) to Canada?

Also, when shopping for parts and I see the notation "for VIN R" or "VIN G", for example, which part of the VIN does it refer to? I have both an "R" and a "G" in my VIN, as well as a "B" and a "P". I could make an assumption based on what the decoders say about which value means what, but I would rather know as a fact, or at least a best guess. :pullhair:

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
"For VIN _" often refers to the engine code digit.

1 = made in USA
2 = made in Canada
3 = made in Mexico
J = made in Japan

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
We have long had a trade agreement with Canada, preceeding NAFTA, which treats Canadian assembled cars as made in USA. My Darts, Valiants and Caravans have been imports. From Canada. G Caravans were assembled in St. Louis. T&C is Canadian.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Are you shopping for engine parts? It could be that you're looking at the engine code. For example, my '95 Spirit is VIN "K". There are lots of other numbers and letters in the VIN, but the K means that it has the 2.5. 3 would have meant the 3.0L Mitsu V6, and D is the 2.2.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/vin-decoder.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts