Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if this is a sign of possible transmission trouble or is it normal to have this. It a 91 Chrysler new yorker 5th ave.

It started when I would haul something like a little paddle boat, I would be on a slant and it would need some strength given to push it from park to drive or vice versa, anyways I recently upgraded to a motor boat, which is of course a larger load. I haven't attempted to take it to the lake yet,because wanna make sure the car can safely do so. I drove it around the block to see how it would do. It did fine pulling it, but once I got it back, took the boat off and tried putting it back in drive from park, it took some force to change the gear. It's doing it on flat land with nothing being hauled now, while before it would have to be on a slanted surface. Is this a possible transmission issue, or is this normal and nothing to worry about fixing?

Thanks for any advice you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean by force is just that. It's not as easy to switch as it normally would be, so you have to put some arm into it, and it feel so hard as if it would be almost breaking something inside. The shift cable sounds about right. It used to only do it on a slanted surface, but now even on a flat surface without anything hauled, it's not wanting to switch gears. I'll check those areas and see if one of those are the cause.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the hill thing is most likely normal, but this was more than just on an incline. I was stating that it went from being on an incline to even doing that on a flat level surface,too. Those ideas you gave are useful. The more things I can look for to eliminate possibilities. I wouldn't wanna get it to a lake somewhere and it not go back in gear to pull it away. It pulls fine, just the shifting gears is the problem,but now that I know the areas it can be, I'll look into them. Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.