Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starts every day exceptthis morn. Has spark can hear fuel pump, cranks tries to start,thats it, Need help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Am experiencing the same problem. I think it's the sudden change in weather where I am (N. Nevada). Have to pump gas pedal to get running, but once it starts running on its own, it's fine rest of the day. Check the common things first, like codes. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Last time it had a tune-up??

What engine?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
starts every day exceptthis morn. Has spark can hear fuel pump, cranks tries to start,thats it, Need help.
When was the last tune up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap)? The ignition components on these cars need to be replaced on a fairly frequent basis - about every 30K miles.

Could be timing belt Remove the distributor cap and while an asistant cranks the engine, see it fhe distributor turns. If it doesn't the timing belt needs to be replaced. Or remove the upper timing belt cover (I'm assuming this has a 2.2 or 2.5L engine) - even if the belt is still on, it may have slipped a tooth or the teeth have stripped off.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Check fault codes, and check battery condition and connections.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If it has spark, the timing belt is at least still connected. It may have skipped time, they usually last about 90-110k. Not a difficult job, just a lot of bolts to remove. This could very well be the issue if the engine sounds funny while it's cranking. Other problems could be ground-related, if the injector can't ground, it won't fire. The plugs will still work and the fuel pump will still run if the injector ground is bad. Check the ground strap on the passenger side firewall and on the driver's side of the cylinder head. Bob Lincoln would be able to tell you exactly what grounds where.

·
Super Moderator
21,360 Posts
Even if you hear the fuel pump and have good pressure in the fuel rail and if the injectors aren't opening to spray fuel, it will not start.
If it fires up briefly with a shot of flammable carb/throttle body cleaner/solvent into the throttle body inlet, then you probably have injectors that are staying closed. Use caution and safe procedures when handling flammables.
If the PCM doesn't see engine rotation, it will not open the injectors. You can crank the engine, but it will not fire.
Not everything will leave behind a fault code. Crankshaft position sensor included. An OBD I scan tool with the proper Chrysler engine connector cable can watch the various sensors while cranking to see what is missing.
Pumping the gas shouldn't make a difference on an EFI system. There is no accelerator pump. Holding the throttle partially down will allow more air.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The ECU must be getting a rotation signal because it's firing the coil. Either the signal is out of sync with what's going on inside the engine or the injector is not firing for some reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts