Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
In Canada truckers positions are being filled by very inexperienced people who are not being trained as well in the past, so accidents are on the rise and people are dying on our roads. In Saskatchewan a bus load of hockey players got side swiped by a trucker blowing a stop sign. In Ontario we witnessed a truck driver blow through traffic backed up and totally flatten a car. My father in-law was a trucker and after retiring he was called back by a big company to train drivers, that didn't go well .. he went to his employer and said " I'm not training people that poop through the hole they cut in the floor of the cab". o_O:poop:😝

·
Registered
520 Posts
They're just marking time till it's autonomous. Culturally, I don't think the USA is ready for a systemic 20% unemployment rate.

The USA has a much higher unemployment rate than is published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as they do not count able-bodied people (such as the massive amount of welfare recipients) who are not looking for work (and I don’t mean people of retirement age).

·
Super Moderator
32,331 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to enter trucking in the US, you get a firm to pay for driver training by agreeing to work for the company for a certain time frame. Then you save and buy a rig to be an owner operator.

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
The USA has a much higher unemployment rate than is published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as they do not count able-bodied people (such as the massive amount of welfare recipients) who are not looking for work (and I don’t mean people of retirement age).
The BLS publishes one which includes those who are not looking for work.

There are people who gave up on looking for work because there isn't anything that pays enough to live on, thanks partly to all those people who claim “minimum wage jobs aren't supposed to take you off food stamps."

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
Check this...

Today's youth wants one thing... YouTube stardom! If they can't have that, they will reside in their parents basement (playing video games and posting on YouTube) until they day their parents wise-up and throw them out on their collectivist rear-end. The only way to lure these people into the skilled labor market, would be to show Brittney Spears wiring a house, Kim Kardashian plumbing a bathtub, Kid Rock roofing a house, etc... Even then, maybe. Once they discover TMZ isn't there to document their activities, they will quickly lose interest. i.e. Mass narcissism, cultivated by the entertainment industrial complex.
People said that about your generation, too, and every other generation.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If you want to enter trucking in the US, you get a firm to pay for driver training by agreeing to work for the company for a certain time frame. Then you save and buy a rig to be an owner operator.
Mostly true, with the exception being veterans, who can get VA benefits to pay and in the case of qualified 88M or equivalent MOS drivers, bypass at least part of the training.

Today's youth wants one thing... YouTube stardom! If they can't have that, they will reside in their parents basement (playing video games and posting on YouTube) until they day their parents wise-up and throw them out on their collectivist rear-end. The only way to lure these people into the skilled labor market, would be to show Brittney Spears wiring a house, Kim Kardashian plumbing a bathtub, Kid Rock roofing a house, etc... Even then, maybe. Once they discover TMZ isn't there to document their activities, they will quickly lose interest. i.e. Mass narcissism, cultivated by the entertainment industrial complex.
Maybe if you base "today's youth" on what you see on YT, perhaps. Are there more "disaffected youth" today than 30 years ago when I graduated high school? Perhaps. Is the USA going to collapse because of it? I doubt it. I've been taking welding classes for personal reasons at the IVY Tech (Indiana's CC system) in Columbus. Both instructors are vets. Mine I know personally from when we worked at Cp Atterbury, where he was our M1A1 Abrams Master Gunner - a staff NCO job. The other was an F/A-18 mechanic. Incidentally, the nearby Toyota plant (forklifts) funded their equipping. Between his IVY Tech job and teaching INDOC offenders welding, my instructor made high 5 figures last year. The hardest part isn't getting students into the programs - COVID funding expanded the program to have more classes to be able to keep the student load down to meet COVID requirements. All the classes were at or near capacity. In the basic GTAW (TIG) class, two of my classmates were also veterans, who are now teaching. In the advance GTAW finishing up now, one of my classmates and his wife ran a cleaning business that suffered from COVID. They realized after not "killing" themselves working that small business that they didn't want to keep doing it, and he was already a welder at Cummins before. Some of the students end up working for Indy race team, but most go to local businesses that are starved for qualified welders. I just wanted to learn how to weld and be able to fix stuff on the family farm. Yesterday, I was making a mess on 16 ga steel.

The problem is retaining new welders after employing them. Part of that, I believe, is expectation management. The kids these days DO have unreasonable expectations of what they're going to make straight out of school, whether it's trade school or a 4 year degree in engineering, let alone some more esoteric BA. I blame that on "the system" which includes everything from parents to college marketing folks and beyond. We need a major rethink on how we talk to "the kids" about life after secondary ed. One of my Mom's seven sisters and her husband, who are both holders of Master's degrees are good examples of how to do it right. Their younger son is in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pursue an M.D. Their older son is a mechanic, went to Lincoln Tech in Indy and works on ag equipment, mostly for CAT. They didn't expect him to spend 4 years in a liberal arts college or even a "TU" (technical university as the Germans would refer to STEM-oriented colleges), but instead helped him figure out where he would shine. He loves turning wrenches and fixing things and he's really good at it, especially considering he's under 30. His mother has an MA from StL University, and he has an MDiv and I suppose another MA for his counseling job. Of course, both being close to or born on farms makes a difference in attitude to physical labor.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
The kids I work with...early twenties to thirties...are definitely not living in their parents basements, unless they’re just sleeping there between 12 hour shifts (sometimes that’s just easier if the house is closer). They all have 4 year BSN’s (we won’t hire without it), and many are working on their MSN’s. They have various specialty certifications. Many have purchased their first homes. Some have cars, some do not...it can be a hassle living in the city. They make good money...very good money. However, many are saddled with massive amounts of college debt...which seems to be quite common anymore with the ever higher cost of tuition.

Slouches, these kids are not. What does that say about their generation as a whole? Not much, it’s just a small sample. So making wild generalizations about one generation or another is just ridiculous.

As for truckers? We need qualified, well-trained people in a lot of trade professions. College ain’t for everyone, but I think we treat people sometimes like they’re a failure if they don’t go or if they go to a trade school instead. Every job is necessary, and should be treated as such.

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
Crazy Larry was just venting bitterness and disgust at everything other than his Great Heros. You'd think a former (and apparently proud) pot smoker would remember that people called his generation lazy, cowardly, and such. People call every generation lazy and pampered, with few exceptions.

“which seems to be quite common anymore with the ever higher cost of tuition.” — instead of any more, I think you mean “now”

“Slouches, these kids are not. What does that say about their generation as a whole? Not much, it’s just a small sample. So making wild generalizations about one generation or another is just ridiculous.”

Always true. Most of the kids I've seen from the current gen are much more active than people I knew when I was that age. Sadly, some have already bought into the hate politics and will end up bitter old men like Crazy Larry.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Crazy Larry....makes me think of this:

·
Administrator
36,198 Posts
Crazy Larry....makes me think of this:

I miss Crazy Eddie, especially when we move our holiday parties to summertime, due to COVID. You know his story, right? He really was crazy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts