Allpar Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,104 Posts
As for truckers? We need qualified, well-trained people in a lot of trade professions. College ain’t for everyone, but I think we treat people sometimes like they’re a failure if they don’t go or if they go to a trade school instead. Every job is necessary, and should be treated as such.
Indeed. In HS there was and is a strong push to attend college. Consequently, the trades (HVAC, Electrician, Truckers, Plumbers, etc) can pay very well due to the shortage of people with those particular skills.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If I hadn't had someone pay me to run up and down the road, I never could have watched robots paint Taurus and Sable at the Ford plant in Atlanta. Humans clear coated door jams, under hood and deck lid.

I very well could have been on the scene at Belvidere when my 1996 Plymouth Neon was built. No one clear coated the door jams, under hood and deck lid. Chrysler saw no need.

What an education!!!

And yes. I was there at Bramalea when the plant was gearing up to build Eagle Vision and Dodge Intrepid. The plant is now known as Brampton.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I miss Crazy Eddie, especially when we move our holiday parties to summertime, due to COVID. You know his story, right? He really was crazy!
Yes, I met Eddie at his store in the Willowbrook Mall when I lived in North Jersey.

You are correct, he was crazy.

Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,489 Posts
Yes, I met Eddie at his store in the Willowbrook Mall when I lived in North Jersey.

You are correct, he was crazy.
I gotta hear more!!!

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and many others..no degrees.
Yes, but Gates and Jobs both went to college and also self-educated. (Thomas Edison was another famous dropout but since his mom was a school teacher, it would be more accurate to say he was home-schooled.) The story about his being called “addled” is almost certainly false, but I doubt a rural schoolhouse at that point in history would hold his interest for very long, if it didn't have an excellent instructor. (And like many famous people, his skills were pretty one-track: chemistry, and, later, electricity. He did have some mechanical aptitude too, but it's worth noting that as soon as he could afford it, he had someone else do his mechanical work, which suggests his fingers couldn't do what his mind imagined.)

Overall, no question but that more people in the trades would be good, except that once the markets get flooded, the wages to go nothing. Hence the labor control system if master, journeyman, and apprentice which prevent a flood of plumbers, electricians, and such, which would bring plumber salaries down from $100+/hour to $20/hour.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Without any consumer goods to haul around, it won't matter if there is a trucker shortage or not. :oops:

I just went to 2 Walmart's to try and find some denim jeans. One could think that those stores were going out of business, basically all the jean shelves were empty, very few selection available.

Retailers pay more to fly everything from bikes to hot tubs from China as U.S. port backup delays deliveries

America’s Imports Are Stuck on Ships Floating Just Off Los Angeles
Tens of thousands of containers holding millions of dollars’ worth of goods are stuck offshore, within sight of docks jammed with still more containers

21 - 27 of 27 Posts