Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,318 Posts
Interesting that he basically trashed the "car" part of the Cherokee, and praised it's off-roadiness when compared with others.

Let's hope they figure out the 9-speed. That is not a Cherokee thing, but something bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
I think from reading this article that he went above and beyond to harp on things he himself was so courteous to point out, echoing key information given by Chrysler describing the vehicle as pre-production as if he was pissed at them for delaying the press release session. If you're gonna continue to spotlight these obvious areas of poor quality then you should be equally unbiased by following such statements with the given disclaimer of the OEM. Maybe someone needs to point his eyes in the direction of the other test drives for comparisons. I have no love for the kind of journalism displayed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,726 Posts
Bah. The guy thinks all SUV's were body on frame. If a "automotive journalist" can't be bothered to know the XJ was unit body starting back in 19-friggen-84, then he's moose excrement.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
36,917 Posts
Way too many automotive reviewers seem to have gotten advice on performing reviews from the same group Homer Simpson did when he was a food critic. The other critics criticized Homer for giving positive reviews. Automotive reviewers and movie critics seem to be the grumpiest people alive.
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Yeah, I honestly don't see unreasonable annoyance here (before someone jumps in with a comment about Chrysler loyalists always accusing critics of bias).

His critique of appearance was fine. But he spent 75% percent of the review bashing the poor items used in a pre-pod model. Not an accurate depiction of the final model. Now, I would give him a pass for complaining about the transmission. Although if it's that bad, it's the first I read of it, and more over, it would be something they are likely to correct.

Ironically, he loved the offroad experience. (You'd swear he was describing a prior Jeep looking at it. Bad interior / on road experience, but loved the off road). Nah - I think this vehicle will prove to be liked for the on road experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
TTAC's reviews all read like whining from spoiled rotten kids that grew up with Lambo posters on the wall and dad putting on his driving gloves for a jaunt in his BMW or Porsche. They are pretty much the epitome of nothing is ever good enough cork sniffers mixed with phony wannabe "enthusiasts".
Both TTAC and Jalopnik seem to be defined by a writing style that's a product of a generation weened on South Park and Top Gear, beat over the head with premium marketing and then couched in a a smug self centered sense of entiltement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,746 Posts
And yet others found the 9-speed smooth.

Nobody else saw these "quality" issues either.

Otherwise good review I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,224 Posts
Dave said:
Hopefully Chrysler will think twice about giving them access to the most important events in future... or am I just sour because we were not included?
I think that is a major blunder on the part of Chrysler. They paid airfare , meals and accommodations for this very important launch and didn't include the administrator of the largest and most important Chrysler website out there?

Dave, you should be royally pissed!

The writer compared the ride and behavior to other CUVs. These are not the same vehicles driven months ago. This event was just held and this is one of the first reviews from it.

I hope the 9-speed was not cheapened too much from its ZF cousin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Hey Dave why was Allpar left out??
 

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
CarsandGuitars said:
TTAC's reviews all read like whining from spoiled rotten kids that grew up with Lambo posters on the wall and dad putting on his driving gloves for a jaunt in his BMW or Porsche. They are pretty much the epitome of nothing is ever good enough cork sniffers mixed with phony wannabe "enthusiasts".
Both TTAC and Jalopnik seem to be defined by a writing style that's a product of a generation weened on South Park and Top Gear, beat over the head with premium marketing and then couched in a a smug self centered sense of entiltement.
I haven't read TTACs Cherokee article yet, but I feel they tend to be pretty fair. They've had great reviews of the minivans and like the 500 as well. Could also be the particular journalist as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
Quality is the name of the game. weall know those were pre production vehicles, BUT we need more quality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
link3721 said:
I haven't read TTACs Cherokee article yet, but I feel they tend to be pretty fair. They've had great reviews of the minivans and like the 500 as well. Could also be the particular journalist as well.
Read this writer's recent nit picky Lincoln review. There was also a recent Avenger piece with a different writer that basically caused a revolt in the comment section.
The minivan reviews are basically an example of what that author calls the wobble. They are meant to be surprisingly positive and are intended to, I think, make the author seem like a regular Joe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,758 Posts
Dave said:
Hopefully Chrysler will think twice about giving them access to the most important events in future... or am I just sour because we were not included?
Its Norm's fault :thumbsup:
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,138 Posts
Moparian said:
Its Norm's fault
Actually, I would have saved them money because I wouldn't need air fare, or lodging.
I was with Scott Brown, just weeks earlier, Im going to ask him why we weren't included.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,474 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
These are not the same vehicles driven months ago. This event was just held and this is one of the first reviews from it.

I hope the 9-speed was not cheapened too much from its ZF cousin.
The Fast Lane had a review online yesterday, it was one of the YouTube links. They lauded the 9hp, super smooth etc etc.
My explanation is simpler: the ttac guy is an idiot.

On the other hand, I find it preposterous that a meaningless site like ttac gets invited, while an institution like Allpar gets the cold shoulder. Simply unbelievable...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Mr.Source said:
Quality is the name of the game. weall know those were pre production vehicles, BUT we need more quality
Mr Source and I hardly ever agree on anything here, but I can't argue with him on this. That steering wheel stitch IS unacceptable even for pre production. (it is a steering wheel, hardly a new technology or something) And given the delay of the press launch one would hope the transmission software would be dialed in by now.
The reviewer may be a jerk (not sure if I've read much of his or not) but a great vehicle wouldn't give him anything to complain about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,758 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Actually, I would have saved them money because I wouldn't need air fare, or lodging.
I was with Scott Brown, just weeks earlier, Im going to ask him why we weren't included.
I was kidding(in case that wasn't obvious :) )
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top