Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching unsuccessfully for a couple of weeks for some spray cans of touch-up paint for my 1986 Lebaron convertible. The code on the underhood plate is PW2, this doesn't even show in the body volume of the 1986 FSM, there is a DW2, but no PW2. That code shows up later as a color for the old Pacifica crossover. Paint code is circled.
DSCN3691a.jpg

·
Super Moderator
37,238 Posts
I have been searching unsuccessfully for a couple of weeks for some spray cans of touch-up paint for my 1986 Lebaron convertible. The code on the underhood plate is PW2, this doesn't even show in the body volume of the 1986 FSM, there is a DW2, but no PW2. That code shows up later as a color for the old Pacifica crossover. Paint code is circled.
View attachment 25599
DW2 and PW2 are very likely the same color. Many paints only list the last two codes (W2 where w indicates white color family and 2 indicates the “darkness” on a scale of 1-9). The should be no difference between DW2 and PW2 as long as you stay within the 1986 year.

Reactions: 85lebaront2

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
There are a number companies found online that can mix a can of spray paint from paint code for you.
I have used a company (I believe on the east coast) for spray paint for a 69 GTO and my 65 Monaco that is painted a rare Gold Poly. Delivery was pretty fast, paint match great and they used quality fan spray tips on cans.
Local paint guys kept trying to sell me a “close but not exact” GM gold color. They could find any info on my paint code. Rather hilarious since Model Car World had no problem providing some paint for my airbrush to paint a model of my car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
Best match I've ever found is at www.paintscratch.com. They provide extra can nozzles, in case they clog over time, and they don't unexpectedly shoot out solvent or blobs of paint like Duplicolor and other brands do.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Never had any issues with Duplicolor....

Always shook the can for a solid minute after the ball inside broke loose!

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Touch up paint should match well when the finish is new. Color will change over the years from UV fade and other aging actions.
Body shops and finish suppliers have an optical tint reader that will provide the custom color information for accurate base mixing and matching.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IC, the car is going to be painted, I am trying to get the roughly 1" wide panel in front of the deck lid and the sides of the top well that either require extensive disassembly or who knows what to get the paint all the way up under the area the top boot snaps onto. When I had the 1985 car painted my neighbor who owns the shop had some choice words for Chrysler due to the difficulty in removing the trim to paint, The clips are held on with M5X0.8 nuts on what look like flat top miniature carriage bolts through a piece of ABS plastic (all NLA from Chrysler). Once to top is installed, the nuts are for all practical purposes, especially the ones across the back window area, inaccessible.

The outsides of the quarter panels are pop riveted to the part the molding clips go into, you can definitely see why these were a limited production vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler lost money on these.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob Lincoln, they have it, about twice the price I had already found. I had emailed touchupdirect.com earlier as I wasn't able to find it on their site, They replied with a direct link to what I need. I already have the gray primer and have sprayed that on.

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
Never had any issues with Duplicolor....

Always shook the can for a solid minute after the ball inside broke loose!
I have, too - and it never failed to spit paint or solvent randomly and without warning every single time I used it, even when shaking frequently after the initial time. To me, it's a garbage brand. They also discontinue colors early on. Paintscratch will make any color going back decades, and it's always been a perfect match for me.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I guess I am just a lucky guy. I have had good luck with MoPar paints, too.
Wonder who makes them?

I've read various threads with guys talking about car issues I have never had either!!! :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I found in that big PDF I linked, is PW2 is the color code, QW2 is clear coat, the actual code for the paint is DW2 which shows both parts.

·
Super Moderator
32,049 Posts
W2 is the generic code for the paint. The prefix indicates the sourcing.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
D may mean Ditzler, a major automotive paint supplier.
P is the primary color.
Q is the secondary color, say in 2-tone finishes.
If P and Q are the same, it is a monotone finish.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D may mean Ditzler, a major automotive paint supplier.
P is the primary color.
Q is the secondary color, say in 2-tone finishes.
If P and Q are the same, it is a monotone finish.
D could also mean Dupont, they are also a big supplier.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Any commercial auto body supply shop can color match your original paint. Mix up a batch and put it in an aerosel can. If you don’t have the equipment to spray it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice idea, but nearest is at least one hour each way, and most involve a $20 round trip toll.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the paint today, FedEx delivered it on Sunday.
DSCN3708.jpg DSCN3709.jpg

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue
1 - 18 of 18 Posts