Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this to the FI 5.2?
I would think since it's inherently low on compression that someone may have done or tried this.
I did a search and nothing comes up but the later 80's 4cyl.
But since looking at the bolt pattern of the head bolts (only 4 per cyl) that it would need 'O' ringing the head.

Could the ECU be 'altered' for more precise tuning?
E

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If your going to be adding a turbocharger to the engine, you will have to change a lot of stuff. Injectors, fuel rails, spark plugs, and you will definately had to have the ECU changed to work correctly with a turbocharger. As well as this, your going to want to build up the engine. Probably forged pistons and connecting rods at least. I've never heard of anyone outside of a drag small block going for turboing, let alone with an ECU motor. Hard to say, but certainly doesn't mean it isn't worth it to you or not worth a shot. But theres deffinately a lot you'll have to do to make it an acceptable running motor that won't just blow apart the first time you really spool it up. May I ask the application for the engine? May help to some degree.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Definitely has to be forged bottom end or you can not run anywhere between 5-8 psi without risking blowing the internals, a 255 or better 355 lph fp, at least 36 lb injectors so they don't work over 80% duty cycle, a decent intercooler, piping, a specific trim of turbo, too large it won't boost well till you are in high rpm and possibly lock up and too small and it run out of breath fast, then there's custom exhaust manifolds, oil feed and return lines etc, tuning a big thing that will be 800.00 minimum to dyno it and calibrate the ECM providing the ECM cooperates, if not your screwed, even with stand alone fuel and ignition systems the ECM will still cut the fuel injector duty cycle incorrectly because it will be seeing values it was never made for and think there is a problem in the engine so it will be adding and subtracting all kinds of things.

All this won't help if your drivetrain isn't made to withstand the added abuse and your suspension and brakes are not up to the level to hold it or stop it safely.

When the 2nd gen Ram came out Paxton had an sc kit available for it but good luck finding the kit as it has been discontinued.
Even if you get lucky and get the right bracket to mount it to the motor finding a suitable unit will be over a thousand easy.

There is ways of adding a turbo or blower to a 318, 360 newer and older design, it can be done with fuel injection but the ECM will be the key player on what it will support or allow, as I learned overtime Chrysler ecms are fussy and very complicated to manipulate. Very advanced which is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Most people go back to Carburetion because it is mechanical and can be used and adjusted to any desire with simple tools, and it is a sure fire deal, where as a bad tune or incomplete tune can damage your engine and limit the performance big time. Also if you got an electronic transmission good luck going carburated because some not all use the vehicle ECM to calculate wot, passing gear etc, also the gauges in the vehicle use the ECM sometimes. Which is why you probably haven't seen or won't see such a build before.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Many people have turbo'd both the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum motors. I am in the process of helping design and build a stroker 387 5.9 Magnum based motor that will be going into a 2000 Dakota RT.

First off, what year and body are you putting this in? Tunability is going to be the thing you need the most. Lots of guys have made 6-8 psi setups live on stock parts for extended periods of time, although the reality is that you are going to want better parts sooner rather than later.

As already stated, fuel system will be a large expense, but most of the work has already been figured out by people and depending on the chassis, you could potentially buy a complete already to go drop in setup for your vehicle. There are a number of small vendors out there that specialize in this sort of thing. If you would like specifics I can point you in the correct direction.

Turbo sizing will be critical, and again, depending on chassis, there are already pre-built hotside setups available. I would not do anything over a T4 flange for a 318....

You will also want to make sure that you do NOT use the stock intake manifold. The plenum gasket leak issues only get worse under boost. Invest in a M1 2 or 4bbl FI intake.

Reactions: MoparNorm
1 - 4 of 4 Posts