Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Tipo is about 100kg (220lb) lighter than Giulietta
I don't know weight difference with the same engine. Giulietta 2.0 JTD 170 HP Distinctive weighs around 100 kg more than Tipo 5porte 1.6 JTD 120 HP Lounge. All measured by Italian 4R. Around 1550 kg for Giu, 1450 kg for Tipo. Driver, full fuel tank and test equipment are included.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
I hope a Chrysler, it fits that role better and honestly the styling fits Chrysler better.
Agreed. I just see it panned as a "Dodge Neon" here. It needs to be fresh with Chrysler styling.

Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hope a Chrysler, it fits that role better and honestly the styling fits Chrysler better.
+1

Chrysler is the one brand under FCA in desperate need of product and now it's going to be stripped down to two once the 200 production ends. Since this is suppose to be the mainstream brand, how are you going to accomplish that with no product under it except a minivan and a large car? As I've stated before, they should just stretch the SUSW platform, design it to be sportier while maintaining the elegance of Chrysler models, and maybe blow out the 1.4T to a 1.6T for better power. The 1.75T that Alfa has is a good fit, they could easily reduce the hp numbers to somewhere around 170hp/200 lb-ft for an all around engine choice. FCA will need small cars in the US if for nothing more than to meet CAFE fleet requirements, but at least one model that can truly compete would be beneficial to the Chrysler brand.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The 1750 TBi is a fine engine, but it's not cheap - I don't know if you could profitably put it into a car sold at the price-point that US buyers are comfortable with paying for an I4.

Lots of talk about Hurricane has overshadowed the smaller engine family that's also being developed by FCA. The four-pot version of this family will displace around 1.5 liters, but it should easily reach the 170 bhp target you give, and it's pretty much a given that this engine would be used with the Tipo model: the Small engine family is the direct replacement for the FIRE family, just as Medium/Hurricane will replace the old WGE powerplants.

The transmission would be a bigger issue than the engine for the US market. While the 9-speed should theoretically fit, it is not offered at present.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The four-pot version of this family will displace around 1.5 liters, but it should easily reach the 170 bhp target you give, and it's pretty much a given that this engine would be used with the Tipo model: the Small engine family is the direct replacement for the FIRE family, just as Medium/Hurricane will replace the old WGE powerplants.

The transmission would be a bigger issue than the engine for the US market. While the 9-speed should theoretically fit, it is not offered at present.
I thought they maybe working on smaller engines, but hadn't heard anything about the 1.5L. In Chrysler fashion, they usually build engines that out muscle the competition, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one could do the same. I was curious about the 9AT being able to operate with the small gas engines, maybe they'll do what Honda did and create a new DCT for them. Do you know the other size variants for this engine family?

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
There not doing a DCT for NA, we are too fickled

J

·
0 Posts
They need a small car asap, so hopefully it arrives first as a Dodge (i.e. the Dart's replacement). And they are smart to call it a Neon...they need some name/model recognition. Makes sense if they start it as a Chrysler 100 at the same time (or within a quarter or so), that way production numbers will be higher in total and you spread out costs.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,030 Posts
Agreed, very little was changed when I did the Chrysler variant. Made the grille smaller though, not sure if that will affect cooling in reality.

·
0 Posts
Seriously, guys -- this thing is a Versa competitor....... The Versa only has 109 horsepower. They could do the turbo for the high trim, but the 110 horsepower 1.6 motor is totally fine for the base model.
I'd rather they still to the Neon derived motor instead of the turbo -- for 2 reasons, 1) the Neon motors were incredibly rugged and 2) the majority of buyers in this class don't want to buy premium fuel.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope it comes here as a Dodge Neon, as that was Chrysler's last relatively successful small car. Too much risk with a new nameplate of Chrysler 100. Marchionne's 5 year plans are meaningless - I pay more attention to what he does than what he says.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Dodge is starving of products outside of North America too.
I would call it the Dodge Neon or even Colt for Worldwide service.
Aim it as true entry level, but without a direct comparison, its hard to tell its size.
It looks "Corolla" ish, but may be Suzuki Swift size......does anyone really know....as in side by side shots....not "its 90" long" stuff.
If ANY remnant of the "Chrysler Corporation" is to exist ANYWHERE except the NA market, then it needs product NOW, and it needs an entry level basis point, to attract the first timer and or downsizers, that may want "Something Different".
Fiat doesn't cut it.....Never really did outside Italy.
AS far as the Alfa engine.....Gee the Chrysler/Rootes Hillman Hunter GT/Hustler/Royal 660 1725cc 4, made 94bhp and 109 ft lbs.....in 1971, and that was with twin Strommies!
I'm sure a Real Chrysler engine could do better than the Alfa 4. ;).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Seriously, guys -- this thing is a Versa competitor....... The Versa only has 109 horsepower. They could do the turbo for the high trim, but the 110 horsepower 1.6 motor is totally fine for the base model.
I'd rather they still to the Neon derived motor instead of the turbo -- for 2 reasons, 1) the Neon motors were incredibly rugged and 2) the majority of buyers in this class don't want to buy premium fuel.
A few of us have actually moved the conversation toward this being a true compact placed under the Chrysler banner. Only few subcompacts do well in the US, but the compact market is still a big segment. With Chrysler models they can stretch into the near premium market since there isn't a premium line above them at the moment. Alfa will stand on it's on, so Chyrsler would have a chance to actually be profitable. The problem with this being a Dodge in the US is that it goes against the product line mission. You can't keep announcing a marketing strategy and then misconstruing it with models that don't make the grade.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Dodge is starving of products outside of North America too.
I would call it the Dodge Neon or even Colt for Worldwide service.
Aim it as true entry level, but without a direct comparison, its hard to tell its size.
It looks "Corolla" ish, but may be Suzuki Swift size......does anyone really know....as in side by side shots....not "its 90" long" stuff.
If ANY remnant of the "Chrysler Corporation" is to exist ANYWHERE except the NA market, then it needs product NOW, and it needs an entry level basis point, to attract the first timer and or downsizers, that may want "Something Different".
Fiat doesn't cut it.....Never really did outside Italy.
AS far as the Alfa engine.....Gee the Chrysler/Rootes Hillman Hunter GT/Hustler/Royal 660 1725cc 4, made 94bhp and 109 ft lbs.....in 1971, and that was with twin Strommies!
I'm sure a Real Chrysler engine could do better than the Alfa 4. ;).

You realize the plan is to keep Dodge and Chrysler as NA-centric brands right?

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,128 Posts
Tired of sheep in wolves clothing.

Reactions: somber

·
Registered
393 Posts
Way to go FCA... Take a great name/ vehicle and run it into the ground.

There were three different NEONs depending on which country you lived in. A Chrysler, a Plymouth, and a DODGE.

The original NEON was a bread and butter racecar (ACR). Now we are going to see FCA take the NEON name because it has grassroots racing heritage and slap a mediocre FIAT power plant in it and hope to God it sells based on the name.

In case you can't tell, I am completely against FCA ruining another great vehicle.

Reactions: somber

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I loved the Neon and had a 2000 model. But the name was already ruined by 1990's Chrysler penny-pinching in the first couple of years. Anyone that I know that isn't a Chrysler person says the name with an air of mock horror. So yeah, I don't think they should use the name either, but not because it's going to be "ruined".

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
The actual size is almost right smack in the middle between the Corolla and the Versa.

The exterior dimensions are most similar to a Civic in width, but Civic has more length.

Mike

Reactions: Archknight

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Way to go FCA... Take a great name/ vehicle and run it into the ground.

There were three different NEONs depending on which country you lived in. A Chrysler, a Plymouth, and a DODGE.

The original NEON was a bread and butter racecar (ACR). Now we are going to see FCA take the NEON name because it has grassroots racing heritage and slap a mediocre FIAT power plant in it and hope to God it sells based on the name.

In case you can't tell, I am completely against FCA ruining another great vehicle.
If it comes here it needs to be a Chrysler. This car does not fit the future direction of Dodge and I am not a fan of using the Neon name either. Let Neon be Neon and let its history speak for itself.

Mike

21 - 40 of 138 Posts