Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marla and I went to the car show at the Don Garlits museum this weekend. This time on Saturday there were about 7 cars in the category. One was an 83 1/2 GLH. It was rough but took first in the participants choice. The car which took second in the participants choice was an '87 Shelby and the my Turbo Z took third. Interesting I thought but it's what the participants chose.

The second day was the judging. There were four cars. There was a really nice '91 Shelby Shadow convertible which lives near me in south Florida, the red '87 Shelby, a blue 'new' Avenger and my Turbo Z.

The judges gave awards for presentation and for overall appearance etc.

The white Shadow took third, the blue Avenger took second and the my Turbo Z took first.

So, the Turbo Z is doing better than I could have hoped. First at Carlisle and two years in a row, first at the Garlits event.

That's on top of the great mileage on the highway, the great power and handling.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Excellent! Looking forward to the next Carlisle.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Just now seeing this here, but I did see it on Facebook. Congratulations, and well-deserved. At least the judges got it right, even if the participants didn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMG thats nice.I have a ? on the gold and black used on the moter and brackets.is it all paint or is it powder coated?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congratulations on the First Place, Bob O!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know the VC, manifold and brackets are all powder coated. Not sure about the block, might be paint.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Bob told me that the gold is an alodine plated finish on all the fasteners, brackets, etc.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine and head were painted with engine paint. The relays and TB as well. The brackets were either painted gold with engine paint or black with a 'Polane' paint which is an epoxy paint used on aircraft propellers.

The manifold and turbo were powder coated. The valve cover was painted with Polane then the ribs and letters were sanded before dipping in the gold alodine.

Most of the bolts and other hardware was plated then dipped in gold alodine.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I've been out of touch for a good while. If you have any other questions about the car or the work we did just let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts