Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals will stop working and if I shut off the vehicle and restart they work again. When they quit the signal bulb and indicator on the dash doesn't light up, but the hazards do work. I've gotten good at slipping it into neutral and turning the key to off and on again! By the way, this isn't related to my other recent electrical problem, it started well before that. Any ideas, it is annoying and potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Maybe a dirty connection on the switch?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The hazards are on a battery supply circuit and the t/signals are on an ignition supply circuit.
If you play with the ign key (rocking it slightly towards crank and off), do your signals then start working? It may be an ign switch issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The signals haven't quit since posting this topic. Did try wiggling the turn signal lever and the ignition switch key but no effect. On Monday during the six hour drive down to SLO they quit 3 times. On the way back I think they quit once. It's a mystery - to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
You have to try to diagnose these when they don't work. If playing with the switches, tilt wheel and dash wiring harnesses proves inconclusive, you might want to try a 'combination flasher' unit (even a used one from a salvage yard).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today the turn signals finally quit. Tried wiggling the stalk and the key but nothing changed. Tried putting it in neutral and turning the key off and on, three times that didn't work. Finally when I got off the freeway and stopped at NAPA shut it off and then turned the key on they were working again. They didn't have the flasher. By the way, that sucker is $50/$70 list!!!! :scared:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up for anyone innerested.
I picked up a couple relays at the nearest Pick-n-pull for $5 each and replaced the one in the van. So far I've had no turn signal problems for a month or so! Yippee

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I saw your post too late to share my experience, but it was the same as yours. The electronic flasher unit in the junction block relay panel was flakey. A junk yard unit took care of it. This is the 3rd time I've heard of the problem. Mine is a 1996 G Voyager and my son's is a 98 base Caravan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turn signals on my 2006 Town & Country occasionally stop. Sometimes left turn signal on but right turn is indicated on dash.Where is the flasher unit located.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
The electronic flasher unit in the junction block relay panel was flakey. A junk yard unit took care of it.
John, is that the box under the hood, on the fender driver's side? Mine quit but very rarely. Maybe twice in the last year. When I turn on the 4-ways, they'll start working again. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's under the dash, to the left of the steering column. As a note, there are two different flasher modules, one for those vehicles with DRL, and one for without, at least in my '97.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
It's under the dash, to the left of the steering column. As a note, there are two different flasher modules, one for those vehicles with DRL, and one for without, at least in my '97.
Ok, thanks. My '96 doesn't have DRL. It'll be easy enough to find, just turn on a blinker and listen/feel for the click.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts