Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What is the latest info about UF's coming engine lineup: are 2.4 and 3.2 the only ones and is the earlier speculated 1.4 MA "officially" canceled now? And was 1.4 also planned with 9spd like 2.4 and 3.2 or with dual clutch tranny?

UF for Europe as Lancia will naturally be offered with diesel, but do you see that there would be demand/businesscase for diesels to available also in US?

Btw, will Dart 1.4 MA become available with 9spd or stay dual clutched when automatic is chosed?

Thanks
 

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
Joined
·
26,427 Posts
See the thread about the Hurricane engines, that will answer most of your questions.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,758 Posts
other than the Aero, 1.4 FIRE engine is dead in the Dart.
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
This whole turn of events is intriguing. Wondering if there are any tricks up their sleeve for the 2.4s MPG. Perhaps they have a magic way to match the 2.0 MPG. Negating the the need for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,635 Posts
Moparian said:
other than the Aero, 1.4 FIRE engine is dead in the Dart.
Such a shame. Most fun? Check. Quirkiest? Check. Best sounding by far? Check. Best fuel economy? Check.

Eh maybe it was an enthusiast engine...sigh.
 

·
Mopar Guru!
Joined
·
12,767 Posts
The 2.4L and 3.2L are for sure... S model might have optional 3.6L. The car will have standard 9-speed automatic transmission across the board. Optional paddle shifters on higher trim packages.

redriderbob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for answers.

Looks like the 1.4 will be not be introduced in UF at all, and will be dropped from dart as well (besides Aero-version)


Apparently there is no diesel market growinnf for US in that segment?


What is you preditions, will the new 2.0 Hurricane se UF's enginebay
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
kakoktim said:
What is you preditions, will the new 2.0 Hurricane se UF's enginebay
It's already been noted in the aforementioned thread, UF gets the Hurricane, as confirmed by reliable sources.
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
MoparNorm said:
It's already been noted in the aforementioned thread, UF gets the Hurricane, as confirmed by reliable sources.
This makes more sense, I don't recall that Sergio dictated the 2.4 would be used when mentioning the 38 MPG of the next car. And it's hard to envision the leap it would take given the current 2.4 tigersharks unimpressive MPG. That said, the hurricane would have to be awfully far along if the 200 is to debut with it.

With all of that done, I'd imagine the Dart with the 2.0 and 9 spd would finally address that.
 

·
Active Jeeper
Joined
·
31,129 Posts
bumonbox said:
This makes more sense, I don't recall that Sergio dictated the 2.4 would be used when mentioning the 38 MPG of the next car. And it's hard to envision the leap it would take given the current 2.4 tigersharks unimpressive MPG. That said, the hurricane would have to be awfully far along if the 200 is to debut with it.

With all of that done, I'd imagine the Dart with the 2.0 and 9 spd would finally address that.
Of interest, they aren't calling the UF anything model specific, only "mid sized", no 200 label, no Lancia label, no Alfa label, so several variants may be possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I hate the "200" moniker. I think they should come out with a new name and use "200" as the base trim level, "Lancia" as the Euro touring package trim level and "Imperial" for the Lincoln/Lexus Es competitor trim level. Call the car an "Airflow" or "Newport" or "Windsor". I hate alphanumeric naming, it hurts Acura, Lincoln, Cadillac and certainly did Pontiac and Saturn no good.
How about:

Airflow 200 --base model---rental car---cloth---2.4 with optional V6
Airflow 200e --fuel saver---Hurricane engine and aero aids
Airflow 200C --leather package---more electronics---2.4 with optional V6
Airflow Lancia---Euro touring package--mostly the same car Europe gets with Lancia grille, handling package, nicer leather and wheels
Airflow Imperial--top of the line with V6, special trim, unique grille, almost all options standard, two tone paint, really nice wheels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
bumonbox said:
This makes more sense, I don't recall that Sergio dictated the 2.4 would be used when mentioning the 38 MPG of the next car. And it's hard to envision the leap it would take given the current 2.4 tigersharks unimpressive MPG. That said, the hurricane would have to be awfully far along if the 200 is to debut with it.

With all of that done, I'd imagine the Dart with the 2.0 and 9 spd would finally address that.
It may take a lot more than DI, and I really don't know what Mazda did to their 2.5L engine aside from DI, but the mileage from 2013 to 2014 models with the 2.5L went from 20/28 to 28/39. Same displacement, 40% increase in gas mileage, with more power to boot.

I'd imagine that the 2.4L Tigershark equipped with DI, and yes I know it's not just as simple as "bolt-on", but if it were done, would increase gas mileage by at least 30% and power by at least 10%.
 

·
Say no to kool-aid
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
srt4evah said:
It may take a lot more than DI, and I really don't know what Mazda did to their 2.5L engine aside from DI, but the mileage from 2013 to 2014 models with the 2.5L went from 20/28 to 28/39. Same displacement, 40% increase in gas mileage, with more power to boot.

I'd imagine that the 2.4L Tigershark equipped with DI, and yes I know it's not just as simple as "bolt-on", but if it were done, would increase gas mileage by at least 30% and power by at least 10%.
Mazda did a fair bit more than slap DI on the engine. Adding DI to the engine would almost assuredly not increase gas mileage by "at least 30%". If that's all it took, fair bet they would have done it. Alas, the topic about the pentastar getting wards 10 best has commentary from inside Chrysler. Indicating that the benefit for NA was not huge. Perhaps didn't justify the costs. Also indicated that DI engines are likely to have a harder time meeting new emisions regs. In either case, I can't think of any car in which DI was added and it added 30% just like that. Mazda did quite a bit to the engines (Skyactiv technology is ultimately just a marketing term, but refers to a number of changes to the engines, IIRC much higher compression being a change, and I believe the benefits of DI are better realized with that combo. However there are drawbacks to all of that as well)

I think it's a fair bet that a 10% increase is closer to reality. So 3-4 MPG maybe. Plus the 9 SPD, they might be able to milk the extra MPG from there. But that's hard to say.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,254 Posts
Lancia as a trim level?! It's a brand, for God's sake!
Like SRT and Mopar?

I can see your scheme being implementable - desirable is another question.

I do agree with dropping the alphanumeric, but I am pretty sure it will indeed be 200. I can't see Sebring coming back, unfortunately. The scathing comments about Sebrings are now reaching back to the originals which tended to do extremely well in reviews of the times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Dave said:
'Like SRT and Mopar?

I can see your scheme being implementable - desirable is another question.

I do agree with dropping the alphanumeric, but I am pretty sure it will indeed be 200. I can't see Sebring coming back, unfortunately. The scathing comments about Sebrings are now reaching back to the originals which tended to do extremely well in reviews of the times"

I don't think the 200 model name has built up enough goodwill for such an important car, especially one with upscale ambitions. BTW, where's Francois Olivier been lately? I think they need some marketing help, he should send me an e-mail.. Maybe the late launches of the Cherokee and Dart GT have stifled things. But then what do I know, I predicted the "Dart" name a year before it came out.

BTW, this new d-class is going to get a lot of attention as a Lancia, the American side needs to leverage that somehow.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,254 Posts
I don't think the 200 model name has built up enough goodwill for such an important car, especially one with upscale ambitions.
So what's your suggestion? Do the usual Chrysler thing of making a new name? Pick out the last downsized-Chrysler names? (Cordoba, New Yorker, Fifth Avenue, LeBaron)? The first and last of those are linked to less than perfect memories and the middle two may annoy people in New York-hating parts of the country.
 
1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Top