Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts

Maybe this debacle will be a teaching-moment to all of the high-paid auto executives in the USA that cancelled or reduced their contracts for chips last year, and sourced some of their critical vehicle components overseas.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Maybe this debacle will be a teaching-moment to all of the high-paid auto executives in the USA that cancelled or reduced their contracts for chips last year, and sourced some of their critical vehicle components overseas.
Ah yes this is only a usa automotive problem.... totally not hurting all forms of products that use microchips. Can't be due to a factory that had a fire or an influx of computer sales or the lack of producers with compacity. This might come as a shock but automakers don't/can't do their own work for microchips. There's very few companies that can even do it well

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
There is not only a chip shortage taking place globally.

Your post ignores reality so it fits your negative view of "high-paid auto executives".

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,035 Posts
I've been hearing about a electronic parts shortages for awhile now. We have a procurement team that goes shopping around the world for what we need. So far, we have kept busy.
I build, test and service tactical radios for DoD, NATO and public safety/professional communications equipment for our first responders/civil personnel.
I think that military, government and medical electronic production needs will take precedence over 'less critical' commercial production needs.
Even if we ramp up domestic chip manufacturing, it will take awhile:

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is not only a chip shortage taking place globally.

Your post ignores reality so it fits your negative view of "high-paid auto executives".
The irony of you calling someone out for criticizing highly paid auto execs and ignoring reality while every other one of your posts is crapping on Sergio is hilarious to me

·
Defender of Reality
2,967 Posts
The irony of you calling someone out for criticizing highly paid auto execs and ignoring reality while every other one of your posts is crapping on Sergio is hilarious to me
It might be ironic, but it’s not wrong. In this case, auto execs have zero to do with this. A global pandemic, a massive fire in a critical chip plant, a lack of domestic investment in chip manufacturing, and automotive companies using severely outdated chip technology only made by a few plants globally combined to put the industry here. Execs are only responsible for 1/4, and that one didn’t impact production pre-pandemic.

Reactions: Zagnut27 and tlc

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
Your criticism is not based in the FACTS. My criticisms of Sergio are rooted in FACTS that most acknowledge.

That is the difference.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500
6,338 Posts
Chip shortage was in part also due to all the laptops given out by schools for remote learning. They scrambled to buy anything out there.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
I've been hearing about a electronic parts shortages for awhile now. We have a procurement team that goes shopping around the world for what we need. So far, we have kept busy.
I build, test and service tactical radios for DoD, NATO and public safety/professional communications equipment for our first responders/civil personnel.
I think that military, government and medical electronic production needs will take precedence over 'less critical' commercial production needs.
If they want reliable power and plenty of water they better locate in Genesee county.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
NOPE..................
Already in planning. Should nearly triple our capacity to near 1/3 of global production.

Bottom line: microchips are money, money is key to national security.

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
In 3-5 years, there will be a chip surplus.

Reactions: DC-93 and BEEAH

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
@Tony K Part of Intel’s drive to achieve a one-third share of the world’s market is to acquire one of its competitors, the New-York based GlobalFoundries - formerly the fabrication arm of Intel competitor AMD. Intel will also, for the first time in its history, offer its own fabrication facilities to other chip designers.

But Intel’s problems (it has quite a few big ones - don’t say “7 nanometre” if you meet someone who works there) are largely irrelevant to the auto problems, as Intel has a tiny presence in this industry: the top five microelectronics suppliers to the global automotive industry are (in approximate order): NXP (Dutch), Infineon (German), Renesas (Japanese), STMicroelectronics (French-Italian) and Texas Instruments (American). This includes everything from the embedded microcontrollers that run the vehicle systems to the high-performance system-on-chip packages that handle high-level control (basically, your uConnect head-unit).

The big crunch has been in the system-on-chip devices, as here, the auto suppliers are competing with phone makers, who are not only bigger purchasers in general, but are themselves experiencing record demand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts