Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Anyone Have Knowledge of the Mack Ave. Pentastar Engine Line ( Machining & Assembly)
Going to the "Old" Trenton Engine Plant ?

This Would Make Room for For "Other" Product the the Mack Ave. Building(s).

Several of my "Old" Sources have Said this Out Loud.

The Old Trenton Still Has about 1.5 M Square Feet of Room. and It's Only Being Used for Storage.

Thinking About It there maybe 1.2 M Square Feet Available.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another "Duckie" Type Question.

What is Going on at the Dundee Engine Plant ?

Is there Any Thing we Should "Know" About ?

With the Dart & 200 Long Gone They Can't be that Busy !

Reactions: ScramFan

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The "New" 1.3 4-Banger Engines I've Seen in the the Renegade Have Been Sourced in Poland.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And Speaking of Unsubstantiated Things that Have Been Said Out Loud .

Anything on an In-Line Engine Block with 6 Holes in It ?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The GME 2.0T is currently coming from Termoli, Italy. It will eventually be built somewhere in the USA. I'm guessing Dundee, MI. If the inline 6 shares a lot with the GME 4, then I expect both to come from the same facility. If Ram production steps up like FCA says, the company will need all the engine building capacity it can muster.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Another Plant Shuffle ?
Note: This is My Pure Speculation Only. This Not Even Based on Unsubstantiated Rumors.
Well Most of It.

Warren Truck - C/O to a Jeep New Model(s) / Dodge Ram Variant with a Full Frame.

Dundee - the Latest 4-Bangers & an Inline 6 Cylinder.

Trenton (Old) Plant gets the Equipment from Mack Ave, Engine Plant.

It Could be Done in Phases in the Machining Department.

Assembly Line Would be a Different Problem.

The Single Spindle CNC Machining Equipment is an Easy C/O Compared to the Old Dedicated
In-Line Lift and Carry Transfer Machines !

I'll be Watching Trenton Engine for the Coming and Going's of Cement Trucks and Semi's Trucks with Equipment (They Don't Hide So Easy).

With Warren Truck going into a C/O and Toledo 2 (the Old Wrangler Plant) is a Few Months Away From Starting Full Production, there will be Less of a Demand for the Pentstar Engine for a While.

This Would Change Big Time When Warren Truck Starts Up 18 to 24 Months Out and Toledo 2 (My Name for It).

The New Mid Sized Dodge (Ram) PU No Clue. Warren, Toledo 2, or Sterling Heights ?
There Will be Bigger Demand for 6-Cylinder Engines (No Matter What the Cylinder Configuration is).

I Don't Think Even the 3 Current Plants can Keep Up With the Needed Volumes when All the Jeep/Truck Plant Get Up to Full Production.

Anyone Else Care to Speculate on This.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FCA can Do and has Done Some Real Quick Change of Plans ! ! ! !

Reactions: GasAxe

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,682 Posts
There is a lot of speculation going on about the Mack Engine Plant... It's gotten so bad that I'm sick of hearing it! None of it makes any real sense though.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
Does Anyone Have Knowledge of the Mack Ave. Pentastar Engine Line ( Machining & Assembly)
Going to the "Old" Trenton Engine Plant ?

This Would Make Room for For "Other" Product the the Mack Ave. Building(s).

Several of my "Old" Sources have Said this Out Loud.

The Old Trenton Still Has about 1.5 M Square Feet of Room. and It's Only Being Used for Storage.

Thinking About It there maybe 1.2 M Square Feet Available.

Mack Avenue is next to JNAP? And we all know that Grand Cherokee is capacity constrained.

·
Registered
762 Posts
What I have been hearing from several people- and again I take all rumors with a grain of salt- is that the Mack complex will be converted to an assembly operation with a new paint shop to be constructed in the current parking lot. The plant would build, according to the rumor, the next-gen Durango and a three-row Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What I have been hearing from several people- and again I take all rumors with a grain of salt- is that the Mack complex will be converted to an assembly operation with a new paint shop to be constructed in the current parking lot. The plant would build, according to the rumor, the next-gen Durango and a three-row Grand Cherokee.
Completely different platforms. Next generation Durango is a body on frame truck, the three row Grand Cherokee is a stretched version of the next generation Grand Cherokee, which will not be a body on frame truck. So I'm going to go with a 'no' on that one.

Current info is that once next gen Durango (SD) is moved to Warren Truck after renovations are complete in 2020, JNAP should have enough capacity for Grand Cherokee and three row Grand Cherokee. Same production volume, higher margins. Fits in with the overall FCA theme.

JNAP and Mack will never be physically connected - it would disrupt the rail lines that are used and they would need to tear down the bridge on Mack Ave. I live in Detroit, I went there myself to scope it out.

Turning Mack into an assembly? I doubt it. Where are they going to produce all the engines that Mack currently builds? I'm guessing someone will say WL will get the four cylinder Hurricane as the intro engine instead and Dundee/Trenton will build the just under 3.0L inline six Tornado that will go into the WL / three row WL - yuck. I love the 3.6 V6.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Completely different platforms. Next generation Durango is a body on frame truck, the three row Grand Cherokee is a stretched version of the next generation Grand Cherokee, which will not be a body on frame truck. So I'm going to go with a 'no' on that one.

Current info is that once next gen Durango (SD) is moved to Warren Truck after renovations are complete in 2020, JNAP should have enough capacity for Grand Cherokee and three row Grand Cherokee. Same production volume, higher margins. Fits in with the overall FCA theme.

JNAP and Mack will never be physically connected - it would disrupt the rail lines that are used and they would need to tear down the bridge on Mack Ave. I live in Detroit, I went there myself to scope it out.

Turning Mack into an assembly? I doubt it. Where are they going to produce all the engines that Mack currently builds? I'm guessing someone will say WL will get the four cylinder Hurricane as the intro engine instead and Dundee/Trenton will build the just under 3.0L inline six Tornado that will go into the WL / three row WL - yuck. I love the 3.6 V6.

Regarding closing streets, remember that Vernor, Kercheval, and Charleviox were closed to make room for the current JNAP when it was built in the early 1990s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's happening, I work at Trenton Engine and , we are making room for the machining equipment from Mack. Its should be up and , running around spring.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
When we get back to Detroit.
I'll have to start watching for the Cement Trucks and Truck loads of Equiptment.
Who is the Maker of the CNC Maching Centers?
Toyota, NTC or MAC ?
Who is the Maker of the Gantry Robots?
Fujitsu or ? ?
Assembly Line: ?

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Interesting. If Mack becomes assembly again, what will be built there? Jeep Grand Cherokee? Why? If Durango goes BOF then they have more capacity at JNAP, so not likely. New Durango and Jeep Grand Wagoneer? Possible, but what happens to Warren? Well they may keep building DS until sales go away, or until Mack is done. Will it get DT? So many questions.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Interesting. If Mack becomes assembly again, what will be built there? Jeep Grand Cherokee? Why? If Durango goes BOF then they have more capacity at JNAP, so not likely. New Durango and Jeep Grand Wagoneer? Possible, but what happens to Warren? Well they may keep building DS until sales go away, or until Mack is done. Will it get DT? So many questions.
Supposedly the three-row Grand Cherokee and the next-gen Durango will be built there. I do not know for certain that the next-gen Durango will be BOF. It may go against the grain of it being a sporty Charger-like SUV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts