Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KOG
7,231 Posts
Fits almost every 3.6 except Pacifica. ??

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,689 Posts
I think that many (not all) of these OFAs were replaced that didn't need to be. Oil leaks in most cases were from the o-rings between the cooler and the block.

I think that after a couple of oil leak come-backs, the service depts decided that replacing the OFA assembly was the best procedure. That started a supply back-order situation.

The techs I spoke with didn't think that the problem was caused by over-tightening the filter cap. They suspected a couple of different plastic molding vendors were used and one may have had spotty quality issues.
The OFA replacement habit was hard to break because of FFV (fixed first visit) scores and the need to disassemble it all over again under the bleak warranty times.

Many of the assemblies returned under warranty were not a leaking part. FCA released this bulletin to try and stem the wholesale replacement of housings by having the tech try o-ring replacement first:

Automotive tire Font Flooring Machine Automotive wheel system

Font Circle Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dorman tends to be a bargain brand. I've had issues with all cheaper component replacements. If it's not the OEM, then I would opt for the Mopar version. It's usually not an improved version unless it's more expensive than what Mopar offers.

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
IDK, that Dorman looks like an upgrade to me. Aluminum, made in USA. I would certainly use that over the Mopar one if I was having to replace this myself. You have to remove the intake which in itself is a pain in the you know what on the 3.6L. No way I'm doing that to just replace O'rings that MAY fix it....and I would not use the Mopar unit which requires you to replace the entire oil cooler/housing.
My rule is I go with OEM unless the OEM part proves unreliable or I don't get expected life out of it and then I go aftermarket. Here...aftermarket all day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
IDK, that Dorman looks like an upgrade to me. Aluminum, made in USA. I would certainly use that over the Mopar one if I was having to replace this myself. You have to remove the intake which in itself is a pain in the you know what on the 3.6L. No way I'm doing that to just replace O'rings that MAY fix it....and I would not use the Mopar unit which requires you to replace the entire oil cooler/housing.
My rule is I go with OEM unless the OEM part proves unreliable or I don't get expected life out of it and then I go aftermarket. Here...aftermarket all day.
Agree with Chase on this. I usually tend to stay away from Dorman or any other aftermarket parts vendor when it comes to things like electronic sensors or actuator motors, etc., BUT... when I see a problematic OEM part, many times with suffixes like AD, AE, etc., and it still presents a problem, I will look at the design of the aftermarket part and jump at using it over OEM.

Case in point - the OEM "plastic thingy" that is part of the earlier Magnum/Charger/300 shift interlock mechanism that ALWAYS broke (been there), leaving you stranded stuck in Park, unless you knew how to pop the console trim piece, insert small screw driver in upper right corner, and move cable/lever to get you temporarily going. At first, Mopar dealers were replacing entire shifter mechanisms - with the SAME crappy plastic part design! then, replacement plastic parts from Mopar. Dorman, and a few others, quickly came out with an aluminum piece not prone to breakage like the cheap plastic. I imagine that the plastic piece must have gotten some bean counter all excited that it saved a couple pennies over aluminum, and some engineer got all excited it saved a fraction of an ounce of weight...:confused:

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
Case in point - the OEM "plastic thingy" that is part of the earlier Magnum/Charger/300 shift interlock mechanism that ALWAYS broke (been there), leaving you stranded stuck in Park, unless you knew how to pop the console trim piece, insert small screw driver in upper right corner, and move cable/lever to get you temporarily going. At first, Mopar dealers were replacing entire shifter mechanisms - with the SAME crappy plastic part design! then, replacement plastic parts from Mopar. Dorman, and a few others, quickly came out with an aluminum piece not prone to breakage like the cheap plastic. I imagine that the plastic piece must have gotten some bean counter all excited that it saved a couple pennies over aluminum, and some engineer got all excited it saved a fraction of an ounce of weight..
Yup, forgot about that stupid part...almost had my wife stuck at work...almost until she forced the shifter into drive she was so pissed and determined to get home. Almost ended our Chrysler relationship..LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts