Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

So I know I am new here, but for those who missed my intro - I am a Brit living in the US. Wife and I will be looking to relocate to the UK in a few years time, so I can get my wife UK citizenship and have us both be UK/US dual citizens.

Anyway, we will absolutely be taking the cars with us. Hers being a 2012 Passat and mine being a 2006 PT Touring.

I am pretty well versed in the import process both ways. And I know the UK has much more stringent requirements regarding lighting on the vehicle. I've been doing some digging, and noticed several key differences. First of all, I noticed the UK spec PT has a second light bulb where the indicator/blinker sits in the headlight assembly. So my first question is to the UK Cruiser owners:

Does this light come on where you start the car, like a DRL? I have circled the additional light in the picture

Since DRL's are a requirement, I believe I can get around replacing the headlights as I have a switchback bulb installed where the indicator bulb is. It's normally white and I have it wired to behave as a DRL, but when I use the turn signal it switches orange, and then back again.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting

for reference:

Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Also, if anyone knows of a spare rear fog light for a UK PT Cruiser 06-10, please let me know, these are hard to come by and seemingly expensive. I'd rather have parts needed for conversion now, before these cars become non-existent on UK roads.

Oh, as a fun side note. I ordered a set of side repeaters to retro-fit on my PT to bring it in line with euro-spec. These are for a classic Fiat 500/600 but have a nice gasket and screw mount and should prove complimentary to the car. For those not aware, the US PT's do not have side markers or side repeaters. For US readers, in UK/Eurospec these are orange and blink along with the blinkers. Not the solid colour you'd be used to seeing.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Rim Material property Camera accessory

Thoughts? Opinions? I know I could just 'get a UK PT' down the line, and they are cheap enough. However, this one has had too much money/attention and is too sentimental.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting.....

One would think that you could just get away with REMEMBERING to always turn on your low beams a DRLs.

Just for looks, I bought a set of Euro Morette headlight bezels. Just the bezels, as they were waaaaay too expensive to buy the whole assemblies.
So, I build in my own headlights from US parts.
When I did, on each side I put smoked/amber side markers on the fenders, and amber side markers in the Morette headlight bezels.
(Because the Morette bezels/assemblies did not have a built-in amber side marker like the OEM headlights.)
Both side markers run with the headlights, and are wired to also blink with the turn signals.

Hood Helmet Bicycle saddle Input device Sleeve

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.....

One would think that you could just get away with REMEMBERING to always turn on your low beams a DRLs.

Just for looks, I bought a set of Euro Morette headlight bezels. Just the bezels, as they were waaaaay too expensive to buy the whole assemblies.
So, I build in my own headlights from US parts.
When I did, on each side I put smoked/amber side markers on the fenders, and amber side markers in the Morette headlight bezels.
(Because the Morette bezels/assemblies did not have a built-in amber side marker like the OEM headlights.)
Both side markers run with the headlights, and are wired to also blink with the turn signals.

View attachment 85718

View attachment 85719
That looks clean! Those Morette's are usually pretty hard to get hold of, especially at a reasonable price. I'd love to modify my housings with a LED strip for DRL's, but I'd hate to potentially destroy a set of headlights. I settled on a switchback bulb and run the daylights whenever I start the car. Side marker/repeater wise, my plan is something like this:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
'67 Hillman Gazelle, '72 Hillman Hunter, '05 PT Cruiser, '10 300C, '16 500X AWD
52 Posts
You are forgetting that in UK you will be driving on the lefthand side of the road regardless I would have thought your US headlights would be illegal and they will be angled to the righthand side of the roadway. I say that because here in Oz it drives me nuts that the authorities do not ban the sale of US lights in Australia. We have a plethora of people who have no idea what they are doing who import schmick fancy headlights for their 300C or PT and merrily drive around blinding oncoming traffic. I have a PT, a 300C and a Fiat 500X and certainly won't be fitting aftermarket headlights to any of them.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are forgetting that in UK you will be driving on the lefthand side of the road regardless I would have thought your US headlights would be illegal and they will be angled to the righthand side of the roadway. I say that because here in Oz it drives me nuts that the authorities do not ban the sale of US lights in Australia. We have a plethora of people who have no idea what they are doing who import schmick fancy headlights for their 300C or PT and merrily drive around blinding oncoming traffic. I have a PT, a 300C and a Fiat 500X and certainly won't be fitting aftermarket headlights to any of them.
I learned to drive in the UK and grew up there, definitely saw my fair share of bright-light dazzlers. I have given thought to the headlight housings too and their alignment. I was wondering if there was any reason I couldn't adjust the US ones to point to the nearside per the requirements. I tried finding UK spec aftermarket lights, and there is absolutely nothing. I could only find US spec, or used faded UK spec. I am one of those people that does care about their headlight level, and I have adjusted the height of mine as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Surprising how many people don't know they are adjustable from the screwhole on the lower portion of the lens.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think something like this would be suitable?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
The one adjustment screw accessible from the outside of the vehicle, in the lower corner of each light, is for up/down.

There is a left/right adjustment on the back of the headlights, however, some brilliant engineer didn't allow access to it. :eek:

So one time when I was replacing the headlights, I removed enough of the structure that will then allow me to reach the left/right adjusting screw through the access hole in the fender liner. :)

Good thing that I did that because while the lights were close, one of them was way off and needed to be adjusted left/right.

But I don't know Chrysler didn't manufacture the vehicle to allow access to this adjustment. o_O

The black dot in this pic is where the adjustment screw is located behind the structure:

Structure cut out to allow access to adjustment screw:

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one adjustment screw accessible from the outside of the vehicle, in the lower corner of each light, is for up/down.

There is a left/right adjustment on the back of the headlights, however, some brilliant engineer didn't allow access to it. :eek:

So one time when I was replacing the headlights, I removed enough of the structure that will then allow me to reach the left/right adjusting screw through the access hole in the fender liner. :)

Good thing that I did that because while the lights were close, one of them was way off and needed to be adjusted left/right.

But I don't know Chrysler didn't manufacture the vehicle to allow access to this adjustment. o_O

The black dot in this pic is where the adjustment screw is located behind the structure:

Structure cut out to allow access to adjustment screw:
That is super helpful, thank you! It's been almost 2 years since I fitted my headlights, which was in itself a bit of a chore. Luckily for me I figured I could do it without totally dropping the bumper, mine hasn't succumb to the usual bumper split that quite a few have near the fender. I may need to re-locate my CANBUS resistors as I think I placed them directly where that access hole is. Ideally, I should cable tidy and re-do some of my wiring anyway when I come to adding the side repeaters in. I'm glad a potential move is still a few years away yet, gives me plenty of time to gain whatever knowledge and parts I need well in advance.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
That is super helpful, thank you! It's been almost 2 years since I fitted my headlights, which was in itself a bit of a chore. Luckily for me I figured I could do it without totally dropping the bumper, mine hasn't succumb to the usual bumper split that quite a few have near the fender. I may need to re-locate my CANBUS resistors as I think I placed them directly where that access hole is. Ideally, I should cable tidy and re-do some of my wiring anyway when I come to adding the side repeaters in. I'm glad a potential move is still a few years away yet, gives me plenty of time to gain whatever knowledge and parts I need well in advance.
It's really not too bad to remove the entire front bumper skin. Takes about 15 mins.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's really not too bad to remove the entire front bumper skin. Takes about 15 mins.
Now that I have tools, I believe that. I brought only a basic socket set when I moved, but since we bought the house two years ago I have been slowly building my tools. I just invested my christmas Amazon gift card in a Milwaukee eletric torque ratchet! I'm keen for the cold to go away so I can actually play with it

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I never cared for DRL's until they switched to LED's.
I use the driving lights on my PT as DRL. It's so automatic that whenever I get in, I turn on the parking lights then pull the switch for the driving lights. So this is the look of my PT:

PT's in Canada have DRL as a standard feature, which is the high beams come on automatically when the vehicle is started.

Some US PT's have DRL if they were originally ordered by some rental car companies or a fleet vehicle, as some places where the vehicle may be driven may require DRL.

One time while driving around my area I saw a Gen2 with the high beams on, and several days later I was able to get the VIN off of it, ran it on the Chrysler Build Sheet website and found out that it had been a former rental car, and it had the DRL option.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I believe this is the rear fog light that you need for the UK:

Here's another listing, but this looks like L/R:

Is it both sides have to be red, or just one side and the other side is a standard reverse light?

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,973 Posts
I use the driving lights on my PT as DRL. It's so automatic that whenever I get in, I turn on the parking lights then pull the switch for the driving lights. So this is the look of my PT:

PT's in Canada have DRL as a standard feature, which is the high beams come on automatically when the vehicle is started.

Some US PT's have DRL if they were originally ordered by some rental car companies or a fleet vehicle, as some places where the vehicle may be driven may require DRL.

One time while driving around my area I saw a Gen2 with the high beams on, and several days later I was able to get the VIN off of it, ran it on the Chrysler Build Sheet website and found out that it had been a former rental car, and it had the DRL option.
Yeah I know it has been a standard feature in Canada for awhile now.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Yeah I know it has been a standard feature in Canada for awhile now.
It should almost be a selectable option, through the dealership, where they could activate the DRL, if a person wants it.

But I like having my parking lights and driving lights on for my DRL.

And since my driving lights were added, after the fact, I can have them on separate of the headlights. If the vehicle had come with them factory installed, you can only have the driving lights on with the headlights.

I don't want to burn all those lights all the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That looks clean! Those Morette's are usually pretty hard to get hold of, especially at a reasonable price. I'd love to modify my housings with a LED strip for DRL's, but I'd hate to potentially destroy a set of headlights. I settled on a switchback bulb and run the daylights whenever I start the car. Side marker/repeater wise, my plan is something like this:

View attachment 85721

Yup!
I put the fender side markers on too!

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Body jewelry Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Water Vehicle

AGREE! The Morette headlights were at least 700EU/$1,000 USD ...EACH!
So, I bought just the outer bezels/cover set as parts for $250 USD; and made my own headlight assemblies.
I did a whole thread on the DIY headlight project on another web site.

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
1,973 Posts
It should almost be a selectable option, through the dealership, where they could activate the DRL, if a person wants it.

But I like having my parking lights and driving lights on for my DRL.

And since my driving lights were added, after the fact, I can have them on separate of the headlights. If the vehicle had come with them factory installed, you can only have the driving lights on with the headlights.

I don't want to burn all those lights all the time.
Exactly is my problem is with burning the light bulbs out when its not needed. I ride a motorcycle so I get having the lights on all the time for that but not cars. One is obviously more dangerous than the other.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Exactly is my problem is with burning the light bulbs out when its not needed. I ride a motorcycle so I get having the lights on all the time for that but not cars. One is obviously more dangerous than the other.
Exactly!

That's why I only want to burn the driving lights, as they are much easier to change when they burn out.

And I used to use a brighter Sylvania halogen but they wouldn't last very long, I think the package even stated they were only rated for 150 hours.

So I changed back to a standard incandescent and they last forever, plus much cheaper when they do burn out.

Reactions: AceHanlon

·
Registered
'67 Hillman Gazelle, '72 Hillman Hunter, '05 PT Cruiser, '10 300C, '16 500X AWD
52 Posts
I learned to drive in the UK and grew up there, definitely saw my fair share of bright-light dazzlers. I have given thought to the headlight housings too and their alignment. I was wondering if there was any reason I couldn't adjust the US ones to point to the nearside per the requirements. I tried finding UK spec aftermarket lights, and there is absolutely nothing. I could only find US spec, or used faded UK spec. I am one of those people that does care about their headlight level, and I have adjusted the height of mine as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Surprising how many people don't know they are adjustable from the screwhole on the lower portion of the lens.
Yes I see your point however the actual reflectors are a different design to 'throw' the light either left or right depending on the country.
There is also an SAE number usually moulded into the lens along the bottom. Sorry offhand I don't know what number matches UK but it will be different to the US ones.
I went through this years ago with my partners Neon as one light had gone very white and a factory replacement was about 1,000 AU dollars. Finally I bought a headlight from America on fleabay for about AU $90 landed , fitted it and that night when i went out to check the alignment was shocked to find it completely and utterly out of whack. That's when I did more research and discovered how things work. Finally I realised that the new light had the front lens held on with Clips but the old factory one had the lens glued on permanently...so what followed was we me patiently grinding the lens off the old housing and fitting the newer ones with the clips. That was an experience I don't want to repeat lol.
Anyway mate, good luck with your problem.

P.S. at times I have fancied some of the whizbang aftermarket headlight sets available in America for the 300C but my experience as posted here with the PT stops me dead in my tracks. I've also contacted sellers to see if they can source those lights but suitable for Righthand drive but the answer is always NO.

·
Registered
Chrysler PT Cruiser
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I see your point however the actual reflectors are a different design to 'throw' the light either left or right depending on the country.
There is also an SAE number usually moulded into the lens along the bottom. Sorry offhand I don't know what number matches UK but it will be different to the US ones.
I went through this years ago with my partners Neon as one light had gone very white and a factory replacement was about 1,000 AU dollars. Finally I bought a headlight from America on fleabay for about AU $90 landed , fitted it and that night when i went out to check the alignment was shocked to find it completely and utterly out of whack. That's when I did more research and discovered how things work. Finally I realised that the new light had the front lens held on with Clips but the old factory one had the lens glued on permanently...so what followed was we me patiently grinding the lens off the old housing and fitting the newer ones with the clips. That was an experience I don't want to repeat lol.
Anyway mate, good luck with your problem.

P.S. at times I have fancied some of the whizbang aftermarket headlight sets available in America for the 300C but my experience as posted here with the PT stops me dead in my tracks. I've also contacted sellers to see if they can source those lights but suitable for Righthand drive but the answer is always NO.
Thanks for your insight! Yeah we RHD folks always get forgotten about in the aftermarket, sadly. I'd love to ideally convert a set like what I have installed, as they are darker housings (still the same light output though) and they look incredibly good in person. I might have to invest in a second pair of RHD's and see if I can somehow just make them look pretty. If I have to use a less attractive silver OEM set, then I guess that's what I'll do. But I will fight it tooth or nail, within reason. I'll gladly put in some hard labour grinding or modding. I waste my time on the most pointless of hobbies, so no biggie for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts