Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***admin please delete or move this to its proper place if necessary***

Read in another thread that there was a V6 Dart prototype. Does anyone have any more info on this or can validate it?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,841 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Agreed, I was looking at the 200S AWD before I picked up the Dart. The reason I took the Dart is my Mother in law hit her head getting into the back seat of the 200, the dart was okay to get in and out of for her. I would have been all over a V6/AWD Dart!!
The "aquatic" 200 styling wasn't for everybody...though, the 200 S blacked out looks good.

Not that the styling was what totally killed the 200...the market shifting, and bad mouthing the car by the company's own CEO didn't help either.

The Dart was positioned in between a small and mid sized car so it wasn't good at being either one.
Would a mid sized Dart with Dodge styling have sold more than the 200? I think so...
But in this non car friendly market, it probably wouldn't of mattered anyways

·
Registered
375 Posts
Drove a good friends 200S AWD a few times, it was a total riot. I owned 2 Subaru STI's before so that praise is well earned. We drove the 200 down to Nashville from Michigan and got 38MPG!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ralph Gillis the man to talk too. In conversing with Ralph, he mentioned that the Dart beta SRT model had three variant engines. TT four, V6, and the shoe-horned 5.7. I don't recall if the V6 was a forced induction or not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ralph Gillis the man to talk too. In conversing with Ralph, he mentioned that the Dart beta SRT model had three variant engines. TT four, V6, and the shoe-horned 5.7. I don't recall if the V6 was a forced induction or not.
Where can I read this?

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
I'm sorry, a V8 in a Dart?

Wat

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
One question (couple years ago) I did ask about was the Tesla screen and is it possible to enlarge the current 8-inch to a bigger size. His response was, too much real estate is lost.

Another was the BZR and his thoughts. BZR is a great design but a poor choice of powertrain. Both of which I do agree (former owner of the WRX with the lame boxer motor). By the way, Chrysler does have the original patent for a boxer design motor long before Subi.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Sadly yes...SRT division with Ralph at that time, its head director, sought ways to kill the competition.
I mean, that's hilariously awesome. Too bad it never happened.

It was a tweet between Ralph and I (hemidakota user name). Ralph Gillis is a humble guy when it comes to answering questions or looking for new concepts.
Yeah, I've had some good interactions with him too :)

Reactions: Hemidakota

·
Premium Member
20,189 Posts
Yeah, that's where the 4.0 Hemi I always make mention of would be great. I know it isn't going to happen, but it sure would be fun! Until then, a V6 would have been a wonderful addition as most people I have talked to liked the car, but wished it had more power. And turbo doesn't cut it, still lacks power unless you put your foot in it, which is why more cylinders are needed for the torque.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,841 Posts
There was an aluminum 4.0L, 32 valve V8 (not a Hemi) for an AWD Eagle Optima concept car in the 1990's, but they went with the 3.5L , 24 valve H.O. V6 instead.
I think that the Dart was always intended to be a 4-cyl economy car. At the bankruptcy, Chrysler was again blamed for building gas guzzlers. The plan was for Fiat to help Chrysler with small car development. Sporty and economical versions of the Dart came out. Gas stayed cheap and the economy improved.
I think that the V6 idea may have come up as FCA's condition improved and got out of the government's bankruptcy sale stipulations, but for vehicles other than the Dart.

·
Premium Member
20,189 Posts
Yes, IC, it was the quick and dirty to hit 40mpg to attain a 15 percent stake in Chrysler being held by the government. With that, I thought the 3.6 was supposed to be a high 30s mpg engine, especially in a car compared to the Journey and minivans and Jeeps. Did the 3.2 get cancelled? Used to be a Mitsu 2.6 V6, too. and when you can have a V12 that is a 5.3, that's a pretty small little bore/stroke, too, so it's not like something can't be made small, and turbo or supercharge (that's the real ticket) to compete with the competition better than we do.

·
Super Moderator
38,067 Posts
Yes, IC, it was the quick and dirty to hit 40mpg to attain a 15 percent stake in Chrysler being held by the government. With that, I thought the 3.6 was supposed to be a high 30s mpg engine, especially in a car compared to the Journey and minivans and Jeeps. Did the 3.2 get cancelled? Used to be a Mitsu 2.6 V6, too. and when you can have a V12 that is a 5.3, that's a pretty small little bore/stroke, too, so it's not like something can't be made small, and turbo or supercharge (that's the real ticket) to compete with the competition better than we do.
The 3.6 was rated over 30 highway in the large RWD cars with the 8 speed transmission. The 9 speed used in 200 gave 31 highway in the 200.
The 3.2 was only used in the Cherokee (and continues to be used there). Everything else with a V6 is the 3.6.

Reactions: Hemidakota
1 - 20 of 34 Posts