Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I post a lot on here, I hope it hasn't become an issue. Just have a lot of questions. I was looking for replacement key-fobs for my Cirrus, prepared to buy a few and then go to the dealer. I came across this set of programming instructions that claimed to be for 95-97 Cirrus, while other sites claim it has to be done with the DRB-III Scan Tool. I have posted the instructions below. I haven't tried this yet because I do not want to cause a short and ruin my ECU, and the connector doesn't label which is pin 1, and which is pin 16. What do you guys think? Could it work? Would save a $50 dealer "hook-up" fee. Thanks!

Manual Programming Procedure (non scan tool)

1. Connect pin 1 of the 16-way data link connector to chassis ground or to pin 4 of the 16-way data link connector.

2. Close all doors, turn ignition key to off.

3. Turn ignition key to Accessory.

4. Turn ignition to off, door locks will cycle once (in programming mode).

5. For each key FOB, press any button 3 times in a row to program code. When programming is complete, the door locks will cycle once.

NOTE:
IF A SECOND KEY FOB REQUIRES PROGRAMMING, IT MUST BE PROGRAMMED WITHIN 1 MINUTE OF PROGRAMMING
THE FIRST FOB PROGRAMMING. PRESS ANY BUTTON ON THE SECOND FOB 3 TIMES TO PROGRAM ITS CODE. WHEN PROGRAMMING IS COMPLETE, THE DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE ONCE.

6. The programming mode finishes after the following:

a. Programming of two key FOBS is completed.

b. One minute has passed since programming.

c. Pin 1 of 16-way data link connector is removed from ground connection.

d. Ignition switch is turned on.

e. Any of the doors are opened.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
My wife had a Camry with 2 factory key/alarm fobs. The plastic case on both of them crumbled and they were falling apart. I bought two new fobs online for about $30 each, and using a method similar to above, programmed them one at a time. The two new fobs worked successfully.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it is worth a try then? What are the chances of toasting the computer? Do you know what pins are 1 and 16 on the plug, so I may attempt?

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
I'd use the non-scan tool method.

Isn't the connector polarized with a tab, so it can only go in one way?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, if I was connecting a scantool. It wants pin 1 shorted to ground. That is what concerns me. I don't know which pin 1 is.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
I would not risk the damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts