·
Super Moderator
32,673 Posts
My 85 Daytona with EFI had the PCV box.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I vaguely remember that twist in PCV setup. I wonder if it is possible to cut the fuel line with a tubing cutter and just splice in a section of 5/16" fuel line. Maybe that will give the needed clearance (assuming there will be clearance issues). Those old early EEKs with the carb setup, front mechanical fuel pump, emissions air pump, spark control computer, etc. were a real PITA to work on. 15 years ago, the self serve bone yard had these lined up like a used car lot. Now you never see them. I swear, the TBI setups in later years was the best thing Chrysler did to these EEK cars. It makes working on them so much easier with all that junk out of the way.

EDIT: I was just looking at a picture of the old style valve cover. The oil fill opening is quite a bit more to the driver's side and I suspect that the fuel line will conflict with the oil cap on the new style. Is that PCV module still usable on your old setup? If so, can you just clean it and seal it to the old VC. Maybe you can J&B weld (epoxy) it on there.

HMMMMM -did not think of that Idea " J&B weld EPOXY the Module to VC " Thank you John Wood.

I wonder if the JB weld would hold up to the heat ??? Iam going to try to extend the fuel Lines up with rubber hose( Fuel Line) where the Filter intersects .

Yes the Oil filler CAP is underneath those lines ,, arrrrghh !!!! You are so correct , the TBI setup was the best thing for those K-cars....

By thw way ,John Wood sir,, would a TBI engibne outlast a carbed engine ,due to its "non-constant" -delivery of Fuel???

adios ,stu

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I would just go with the EFI setup. The PCV setup for the carb seems to be kind of boneheaded. There is a breather nipple on the driver's side of the valve cover for the EFI setup, just run your hose to that. Worst comes to worst, go get the EFI airbox and put that on in place of the carbed airbox. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, since the Reliant used EFI in its later years, and the airbox is bigger, which should help remove some restriction from the intake system. Either way, the formed hose is a waste of money, regular emissions hose will work just fine and won't run you $40+ for something that will need to be replaced in a few years.
HMMMM -you really think the TBI /efi type air box would fit on the Holley-weber Carbsetup -I,ll try it !!!!! -Yes you are right molded hoses are $$$$$$$.

adios-stu

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Maybe. I've never driven a carbureted car or worked on one, so I have no idea. As for the durability of TBI over carburetion, they're about the same. A TBI system uses what's essentially pulse-width modulation to control its fuel supply. The fuel injector is a solenoid, so it's either on or off, nothing in between. In order to control how much fuel goes into the engine, the computer pulses the solenoid. As an example, say that a carbed car and a TBI both need a flow of 1gpm at full throttle. With a TBI, the injector alone can't respond in an analog manner like the jets of a carburetor can, the injector is open, delivering 1gpm, or closed, delivering no fuel. In order to regulate the fuel intake, the computer pulses the injector. If the engine only needs .5gpm, the injector in this case is only open for half a minute (if you were to add up all the injector open and closed times). So while the injector sees on-off-on-off-on-off, the engine sees .5gpm.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Maybe. I've never driven a carbureted car or worked on one, so I have no idea. As for the durability of TBI over carburetion, they're about the same. A TBI system uses what's essentially pulse-width modulation to control its fuel supply. The fuel injector is a solenoid, so it's either on or off, nothing in between. In order to control how much fuel goes into the engine, the computer pulses the solenoid. As an example, say that a carbed car and a TBI both need a flow of 1gpm at full throttle. With a TBI, the injector alone can't respond in an analog manner like the jets of a carburetor can, the injector is open, delivering 1gpm, or closed, delivering no fuel. In order to regulate the fuel intake, the computer pulses the injector. If the engine only needs .5gpm, the injector in this case is only open for half a minute (if you were to add up all the injector open and closed times). So while the injector sees on-off-on-off-on-off, the engine sees .5gpm.
----OK ,good explanation of the TBI vs carb operation , I shall read it again.

By the way , I did fix that Valve Cover , I used the 2.5 TBI one ,, Ihad some fuel line clearance issues. ,just had to extend(replace the hose from fuel pump (filter) to carb inlet.
I used a Mc Cord KorK rubber gasket & good old Hi tack cement , and did the carefull Silicone /RTV 1/4 bead o the Cam tower /gasket interface. So far ,not leaking like it was,,, still spme smoking ,but what do you expect on -a -1984 car (how many yera sis it??!!!!!)

Still has a exhaust Manifold leak (or gasket leak /or egr leak). Won,t hurry on that . next step , brales & the starter.

Lastly the OIL Cap does seem to be a LITTLE bit blocked by a Fuel Line ,but not obstructed,,, lLivable ,,, I also had to re-plumb a EGR hose to new Manifold setup , next do the Breather Hose Right , either use a 2.5 EFI air cleaner or just drill A big Hole in the Old stlyle sir box ,and use a Grommet.

You guys here are great , really helped me out with this Nuisance of a K-car issue, Take care -Stu

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not just mindlessly resurrecting an old post, but i am wanting to know what's involved in swapping to a "FI" valve cover on a carbed EEK. I have two 84's with the 2.2 which has that same stupid pvc plastic box set-up and i'am tired of dealing with it. Admittedly the set-up does work decent for a bit but they don't age well and get brittle,then things start breaking :-( . Then you can replace(for 40 to 60 bucks usd ) or rig back together with some pvc pipe fittings and glue which is what i did. Lasted for several years but now the sprung metal tangs that they use (the one held by a vc bolt) to hold pressure on the pvc box against the gromment and vc have gave out(one finally broke) .

So what models/ years of vc would be a good swap and what all would i need as far as hooking up the pvc and cc breather line? I have a cast aluminum "turbo" vc that i picked up for free years back but after mock-up i can see that this gonna need some mods to be adapted to work on one of my 84s. Longer vc bolts are needed plus mods to electric choke wiring and possibly the throttle cable bracket as neither seems to clear the taller style vc. Plus the turbo vc only has one breather connection so i would have to figure out something there since my engine has two. Seen pics of efi cover and they have to connections and are not as tall as turbo one so appears that swapping to that style would be easier. Just wanting to know if my thinking on this is right and what would be needed. Also does anyone on here have a efi type vc that they'd be willing to part with?

InFlames

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
During the 80-90's when I worked on MOPARS, Mopar Performance (Direct Connection then) had chrome valve covers and other attaching parts for carbureted models. Maybe they or some one will still have some of those P part numbers available?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts