Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think that fixed the leak at the rear bolt on the head with some sealant. however, I still have a leak at the back of the head. I had to pull the valve cover off to verify the cam timing and I re-installed the valve cover with a new gasket after cleaning the sealing surfaces and using Permatex #2 sealant. It was the Fel-Pro cork type gasket and I think I may have pinched it when I installed it. I have a factory aluminum valve cover with one piece rubber gasket that came off the other engine versus the stamped steel one that is currently installed. Is there an advantage to the aluminum valve cover? Can I re-use the rubber gasket with new sealer and what sealer would be recommended? Thanks, Don.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Don, the aluminum covers only have an advantage in that they are harder and cool off faster than steel covers. Weight is about the same, but sealing with metal becomes difficult if the bolts have been overtorqued and the bolt holes bend towards the head surface, making the gasket not clamp properly. If you take the metal covers and knock the holes with a bolt larger than the bolt hole to bend them outwards they will clamp better and not leak, use a board against the edge so they dent outwards. Use a smear of blue Permatex, which remains flexible, it is basically a glue to keep things in place and squishes out, so super clean surfaces helps, and a big bead just squishes out to be very conservative in using it, the stuff that tends to get squished out and stuck in the oil pickup in the pan, not a good thing. Aluminum, being harder, ensure the surfaces are clean and there are no injection points (round circles) that are not smoothed out, they tend to leak at those points. The rubber gaskets can be reused if they are soft, clean them with solvent or laquer thinner to clean and let them dry before adding the blue Permatex for extra stickiness.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Actually, the stamped steel are more prone to leakage. If you have the cast aluminum cover, use that instead. It's virtually leakproof. That's why they switched to it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers. Would acetone be acceptable as a cleaner on the rubber gasket? It seems to be pliable but I don't want to damage it.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Yes, that will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts