Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

Is it true that the O - rings on the shaft in older Ultradrive transmission which used ATF+3 (or other fluids) get hurt or destroyed by the newer ATF+4?

A big discussion is going on on this topic in a European forum....
Any facts known bout this one?

We´d really appreciate your professional opinion!

Thanks
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Doubtful. ATF+4 is better in every way - higher temp rating, better viscosity, synthetic for longer life. I have run it in my truck, which took Dexron II, for over 60K miles now, and it never ran better. Chrysler recommends it as the replacement for all automatic transmission fluids from the Torqueflite on up. Can you cite any studies or data?

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
As I understand it, the original reason of the switch to ATF+4 was for a new clutch disc material being used in the 41TE/42LE introduced in late 1995. That and the improved temperature and wear characteristics of the synthetic fluid improved things overall.
Using the standard ATF+3 would damage the clutches. As long as the fluid meets Chrysler MS-9602, it can be used as ATF+4.
Google: Chrysler MS-9602.

·
Super Moderator
36,922 Posts
It's pretty much a non-issue. There is no ATF+3 any more and isn't Valvoline MaxLife a Dexron fluid which is almost guaranteed death to the 4 speed auto? Every transmission I've put ATF+4 in performed BETTER than before, not an issue at all.

Here's how a rumour gets started. Some guy has a car and it's not shifting right. So he has the transmission serviced and then soon after it fails. Of course they then omit the fact they had issues before, blame the failure on the new fluid and post it all over the Internet.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, exactly my thoughts, thank you gentlemen!

That´s the problem here, people are buying vehicles with a worn out A 604, flush it (maybe even with the right fluid! - which isn´t usual here..) and cause a transmission death cause of the flushed out dirt and stuff moving arround in there.

I flushed my Dexron II serviced 41te on my 90´ Voyager, i didn´t even start it before the fluid flush and cooler replacement.
I don´t expect a long life of this transmission, but right now it works flawless.

I just asked to finally kill those stupid opinions of some people arround over here, by asking you all know´n REAL professionals.

ImperialCrown said:
Valvoline MaxLife has not been endorsed or evaluated by Chrysler as a substitute for Chrysler ATF+4. (i.e.- don't use it as an ATF+4 substitute)
Do not use in any transmissions/transaxles/CVT's/DCT's or where ATF+4 or Ford F-type fluid is required. It is a synthetic Dex/Merc fluid.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
Thank you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts