Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
started this last june, 2010. had a subaru vanagon and wanted an american conversion--this engine was built in michigan

94 eagle vision donor ran well and floated down the hwy--I have searched EVERYWHERE for a similar conversion and havent found it yet--
next year I will take my data from this one and do the same treatment to a 90-97 toyota previa van for better aerodynamics.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vanagonlhs/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/previalhs/?yguid=396279512

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
So what are you going to do with this one when you start the next one?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
parts runner until the previa is finished --then maybe sell it-- I'll have redone the interior by then too with a nice sound system

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have finally scaled everything I need and have defined my engine room -bed/seat envelope design, soup to nuts! the engine central hatch only penetrates the seat by 1.5"

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That is some beautiful work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the lid seal channels are in--the wire channels are next, then I can bring in the wires and mount the powerbox and tcm. I could get a new battery too.

backwelding the channels is done

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the fair weather window this morning, i finished painting and assembling the engine house and some components.
this is the wire track that keeps the harnass high and away from the pulleys

this is the engine/trans plugs and the vapor and tuning valve solenoids

the charcoal can and pcm

next is the battery tray and then the wires lay in

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorted out the vacuum lines and made a 90* bracket for the trans fluid dipstick-- it's paint is still drying-
decided that a recombination style battery, like optima brand is the head and shoulders best value in a battery, mainly because they
store up to 800 cc amps and 4 times the life in the same size battery case. and with the gel media, I could mount it upside down if needed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
sounds like you will be drivimg herb soon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wires are laid in. the powerbox/ tcm mount bracket is drying overnight. bolted down the batt tray-- I had to break the bulkhead plug apart to focus on the engine area harnass. the rest will work in next week, depending how familiar i get again with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the wires laid in yesterday and I sort of started tying stuff up and surveying routing and possible shortening of things

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh man, I still have too many loose ends!!! the wires that go left from under the powerbox in the last photo are for the guages forward, so they are taking a cloverleaf of sorts routing down under with the other cables north to the dash.
there is much cleaning and testing before that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the drive flange adapters back today and they are sure nice-- jim shirley of shirley design in huntington beach, ca, 714-897-1641 and SB ent. next door did a great job machining and welding these together. They are super strong, mig welded on the outside and tig welded on the inside.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
88 735i rear drum/discs for the van--tomorrow I make cutting templates to make it a more efficient endeavour.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am doing something nobody has commonly done before--cutting the hubs off vanagon trail arms and welding beamer hubs on with the same lug face location. I removed the lip on the sides of the arm and its almost ready to tack together.

that hole is for the E brake cable

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
its looking good.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts